Acura World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2003 TL with 95,000 miles on it. I worked it into the sale that the dealer would replace the timing belt, not realizing that it's suggested to replace the water pump at the same time.

I talked to the service department and they said that they would "inspect" the water pump, pulleys, and tensioners. I asked how much it would cost to replace the water pump while they're doing the timing belt and he said it is $190 for the part.

What do you think I should do?
Should I just do whatever they tell me after they "inspect" stuff?
Should I tell them to replace the water pump no matter what?
Should I buy a water pump at AutoZone for $60 and have them put that in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These forums seem kind of dead.

Here's an update on my situation. I took the car to the dealer, they replaced the timing belt and said the water pump was 100%, so it didn't need replaced. I'm not sure how they can tell that. But they did tell me that the tensioner needed replace and the part is $90. So I told them to go ahead. When I went to pick up the car and pay, they had the timing belt and tensioner on the invoice, but my balance due was $0.00! So either they screwed up or they decided to be nice. Ether way, I'm a happy camper.

·
Tastes minty
7,324 Posts
Well that's a good deal for you then. Generally a water pump is replaced at the same time as a timing belt change because it has to be removed anyway so the additional labor cost is minimal to none (the most expensive part of a timing belt change is the labor--by far). So with a water pump with 100K miles on it, it's usually a good idea to replace it even if it is working 100% since it's remaining lifespan is dwindling and you don't want to have to pay for the labor of that job when they could have just put a new one on when reassembling the timing belt.

It's obviously too late now for your scenario, but in the future just remember it's good preventative maintenance and usually will save you several hundred dollars in labor over the life of the vehicle to replace the water pump at the same time as the timing belt. Same with the tensioners. They may last longer than 100K miles, but unlikely they'll last 200K miles (when the next timing belt change is due) and they're cheap. Replace them and then no worries until another 100K.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Acura has a whole package to replace the timing belt (all belts as a matter of fact), water pump, tensioner and other components for about $1199.95. You should've had asked them to perform the whole package installation for free since you got them with the timing belt. But just for future reference. Good for you they didn't charge you anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts