Acura World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
NO MORE DIALYSIS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys with tinted windows use to clean them? Anything with ammonia I was told is very bad for your tint...and so I think that means no Windex! Spring is coming, in which I will do a major spring cleaning of my car. So I'll also have to worry about the leather interior. What do you guys recommend? I read there's leather cleaner and leather conditioner and both are mutually exclusive, am I correct?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Lexol for leather for sure, highly recommended, Check your Acura service department, mine has it!

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
For glass:

Buy a bottle of the cheapest glass cleaner you can find (doesnt' matter what kind). Take it home and open the bottle. Dump the cleaner into the bathroom sink. Go get a bottle of windshield washer fluid, pour that into that empty bottle and you've got (what I like to consider) the best glass cleaner for the $ w/ no streaks and easily refillable.

·
Registered
14,949 Posts
Driven said:
For glass:

Buy a bottle of the cheapest glass cleaner you can find (doesnt' matter what kind). Take it home and open the bottle. Dump the cleaner into the bathroom sink. Go get a bottle of windshield washer fluid, pour that into that empty bottle and you've got (what I like to consider) the best glass cleaner for the $ w/ no streaks and easily refillable.
Anything you'd ever care to buy concerning detailing your care can be found here.

www.properautocare.com

They've got review of all the best products. Proand Cons to everything. I've learned more there about detailing my care than anywhere else. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
copland007:
I have wondered about this myself...I LOVE lexol. Just love it. My seats are so soft...no cracks...no nothing...wear lines yes...cracks no...the interior looks beautiful...blah blah blah. I may go buy some 303 and do half the car with either and see how it looks...just to prove one or the other once and for all.

Austin519

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Austin519:
Lexol is good stuff and by the eye they will probably look/feel very similar. But our seats are clear coated and the Lexol may accelerate the wear down this clear coat. I don't know how fast or if it even will, there was a big discussion that NSXNEXT and I were in at a-tl.com and he had mentioned that Lexol will probably do that.

The clear coating on the leather seats is designed to repel foreign substances, including conditioners. So when you apply Lexol to our clear coated sections it isn't treating the leather, it is treating the clear coat (in effect not doing much except making the seat look shiny and feel smooth).

303 should be seen more as a protectant, not a conditioner. So using 303 is adding another layer of protection on top of the clear coat.

Here's a good link with a lot of tips/uses for 303, including a good discussion on leather: http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/303prodhomti.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
copland007, do you believe that the leather cleaners such as Lexol will have the same potentially detrimental effect on the leather's protective coating as the Lexol conditioner? If yes then what's a good and effective but safe cleaner?

·
NO MORE DIALYSIS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the links, copland007. Reading those left my head spinning a bit, but did answer some questions.

Anyway, my guess is that the EL leather is also "clear coated" like the CL and TL, so oil-based conditioners should be avoided. It's probably more important to clean the leather surfaces often so excessive dirt doesn't build up and wear the leather.

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
99 Posts
so.... after doing some readings, would this be ok?

1) using any kind of cleaner, then 2) use 303.
as a option, use conditioner few times a year between step 1 and 2.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
BlackFire TLS:
Ya, that should be fine. The debate of clear-coated leather is still a big one, so just don't over-condition ;)

For those interested I took some close up shots:

Klasse AIO & Sealant:
http://www.thewebworks.com/nuke/mod...ame=Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

303 on the dash:
http://www.thewebworks.com/nuke/mod...ame=Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

303 on the dash #2:

You can click on the photos in the above links to see a zoomed in version (large file size ;))

·
NO MORE DIALYSIS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I've never even seen 303...is it even available in Canada? Lexol is apparently not too easy to come by either...a friend told me I have to go to a ricer shop to find it in the middle of all the coffee can exhausts, indiglo "H" badges and Mügen stickers.

So for now, I've just got some cleaner and I'll worry about conditioner a bit later.

·
Transform and roll out
5,506 Posts
RiceBoy said:
I've never even seen 303...is it even available in Canada? Lexol is apparently not too easy to come by either...a friend told me I have to go to a ricer shop to find it in the middle of all the coffee can exhausts, indiglo "H" badges and Mügen stickers.

So for now, I've just got some cleaner and I'll worry about conditioner a bit later.
Believe it or not, you can get it at ZELLERS!!!:eek: I just picked up a spray bottle for 15+tax (CDN) today...can't wait to test it out! :D

hey copland007...did you get my PM?

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,481 Posts
GM Glass Cleaner is good for windows

1 - 20 of 24 Posts