Acura World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RDX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a trailer hitch type bike rack for my 2020 RDX. (I'm too old and too short to put my bike on the roof). Can I go to any reputable bike shop for a hitch and rack? Acura doesn't seem to offer one - plus I would rather not pay the typical Acura mark-up on a commonly available item. I have a great local bike shop. I just don't want to do anything to void my Acura warranty. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There isn't anything a hitch would void unless you towed 5000lbs X-country with your RDX. You just have to decide if you want add an Acura hitch or go aftermarket. Aftermarket will be cheaper to purchase and install compared to the dealership. If you do go aftermarket, you can pick between 1.25 inch or 2 inch size receiver for the bike rack. This depends on what type of bike rack you pick. It can be a pain and an extra step to use an adapter if the rack doesn't match the receiver size.

I find platform racks are much easier to use and secure the bike better compared to hanging type hitch racks. Hanging bike racks are usually cheaper; but, it can take some prep work to secure on rack like raising the seat for a cross bar adapter for step thru bikes and strapping down to help with sway. Another issue I didn't like with my old Softride Dura 4 hanging racks was the bikes would sometimes drag on the ground over big bumps/dips. Never an issue with my Saris SuperClamp 4 platform rack.

Platform racks can be very expensive; but, are the easiest to use. 1Up platform rack can stay on the back of your RDX all year and can be locked in the up position when not in use. No issues interfering with back-up camera in lock up position; but, it might interfere with back up and cross traffic sensors.

The thing you have to think about with platform racks is how does the bike secure on the rack. Most platform rack can have tire tray straps and secure with two arms over each tire. Others have the same tire tray straps and have a center mounted arm that comes down on the upper crossbar. The center mounted arm might not work if your bike is a step-thru. The arm on the tire platform rack might not work if you bike depending on the fenders might be in the way.

You local bike shop can recommend a racks that best fits you RDX. Then you can check out 1.25 inch or 2" hitches that will fit that rack from Acura, U-Haul, or etrailer.com.

Old picture of my 08 RDX with etrailer 2 inch hitch and Saris SuperClamp rack (4" fat tire Radrover ebike and Radcity step-thru ebike):

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought THIS HITCH for my 2021 RDX. It fit perfectly, though I ended up having a local muffler shop install it for $100. Several exhaust hangers needed to be loosened and the exhaust lowered to complete the installation. Not a big deal at all (it took about 20 minutes from start-to-finish), but I didn't feel comfortable doing it laying on my back, with no lift. The guys at the muffler shop made quick work of it!

I have an older Thule trailer hitch bike rack, and this hitch works great with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would strongly recommend getting the class III hitch. It is the 2” square. It offers more rigidity. I use it with a older Thule rack and have good luck with it. Installation of the hitch was easy and can be done with a regular set of tools.

·
Registered
2020 RDX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought THIS HITCH for my 2021 RDX. It fit perfectly, though I ended up having a local muffler shop install it for $100. Several exhaust hangers needed to be loosened and the exhaust lowered to complete the installation. Not a big deal at all (it took about 20 minutes from start-to-finish), but I didn't feel comfortable doing it laying on my back, with no lift. The guys at the muffler shop made quick work of it!

I have an older Thule trailer hitch bike rack, and this hitch works great with it.
Thanks fr the tip.

·
Registered
2020 RDX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would strongly recommend getting the class III hitch. It is the 2” square. It offers more rigidity. I use it with a older Thule rack and have good luck with it. Installation of the hitch was easy and can be done with a regular set of tools.
Good to know. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts