Acura World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently gone from tent trailer to hybrid trailer (2800 lbs) and I am wondering do I need to upgrade my transmission Cooler on my 04 mdx

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a 2004 Mdx with the Acura trailer hitch and the transmission cooler that came with the kit. I was towing a Bayliner boat at approx. 2500lbs. Seems that the Acura had no problems towing on flat surfaces, but when I started going on a 3-5 degree slope for 15-20min. the engine started getting hot. Not too hot that it would burn engine but noticed the temp gauge rise quickly. This was on a hot summer day with 100 degree weather. It quickly cooled down when I discontinued ascending though. My recommendation: just keep an eye on temp gauge and stop if need to. The 2004 Mdx did not tow too well uphill (slow and lack of torque) and I did have to shift into 4th gear to maintain constant rpm to engine. I now have a 2012 Mdx and hope the bigger engine will tow better than the 2004.

·
Old Parts Slinger
9,587 Posts
While not an MDX, my Ridgeline (pretty much the same 3.5l engine, drivetrain, etc) pulls my race car and trailer nicely (approx 4500 lbs), even over mountains like the Tejon pass. One thing is when going uphill, don't try and keep the revs low. You will overheat. Mash the gas and let the grade logic do its work. At 2500 lbs, I think you'll be pretty safe. I added on a nice B&M Racing ATF cooler on my Ridgeline just because of the mountain passes to get to the race tracks and most of the races are during the summer so I'll be towing in 100+ degree heat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts