Acura World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called into the dealer today to order a transmission fluid filter for my 99 RL and was told that they do not use a filter! Is this true? You just change the fluid, and their is no filter?
Many Thanks.
Eric

·
jinny=guy, avatar=girl
17,055 Posts
I believe that is correct... for the transmission, it's just drain and refill.

·
Running on LPG
351 Posts
of course there is a filter inside the tranny. and it should be replaced at least every 100k miles. the filter keeps all the metal wear off and dirt inside. so either you let it change or at least take it out and clean it. i'm doing it every 60k miles to keep my tranny working smoothly.

·
40 Posts
Dear RLuke;
I'm surprised that there is afilter inside the tranny system.
Do you have any picture or the part number for this filter?
My RL is more than 130K mile now and I never change it~
wanna replace a new file if any.
Thanks`

·
Running on LPG
351 Posts
sure, here you go. those are pics of my ATF strainer. you can see the strainer was partially clogged after 90k miles:

the part number is:
25420-PY4-000

it costs about 40 dollars.

Attachments

·
40 Posts
sure, here you go. those are pics of my ATF strainer. you can see the strainer was partially clogged after 90k miles:

the part number is:
25420-PY4-000

it costs about 40 dollars.
Dear RLuke;
Thanks for your pictures!!!
I'm really surprised!!
So, we need to remove the trans oil pan when we wanna replace this filter?
if so, what's the labor fee Acura charged you before?
Many thanks!!
:wavey:

·
Running on LPG
351 Posts
yes, you need to remove the oil pan. afterwards you need a new gasket. costs about 10 bucks.

acura didn't want to do this job. so I took the car to a professional shop for tranny maintenance. they told me, it is not a good idea to drive all the years without changing this strainer. even acura says in the shop manual, replace or clean the strainer, if clogged. but they do not tell you how often you need to look after it. but as you can see on the pics above, the strainer was partially clogged after 90k miles.
they also recommend to change tranny oil every 30k miles. by doing so the tranny should last much longer.
i had to pay 200 bucks for the whole job (incl. materials and tranny oil).

·
40 Posts
yes, you need to remove the oil pan. afterwards you need a new gasket. costs about 10 bucks.

acura didn't want to do this job. so I took the car to a professional shop for tranny maintenance. they told me, it is not a good idea to drive all the years without changing this strainer. even acura says in the shop manual, replace or clean the strainer, if clogged. but they do not tell you how often you need to look after it. but as you can see on the pics above, the strainer was partially clogged after 90k miles.
they also recommend to change tranny oil every 30k miles. by doing so the tranny should last much longer.
i had to pay 200 bucks for the whole job (incl. materials and tranny oil).
I see~
I will replace it on next maintenance~
after all, it's 130K mile now~
:mhihi:
Thanks for your information!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, RLuke
Thanks for your photos. I am thinking to change the filter by myself for my 2000 RL. If it only takes to drop the pan, & replace the gasket + the strainer, it should be doable.

the strainer becomes accessible when the pan is dropped, correct? Just wonder if you had a chance to witness how that shop did it for you. Thanks.

Charlie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts