Acura World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2003 Acura MDX to my local dealer for a transmission diagnosis because it was slipping when it got hot. They recommended a transmission power flush and I have heard that many people say not to do this but why pay for professional advice if your not going to take it so I agreed. A few hours later they call to tell me that my vehicle left there technician stranded while he was test driving it after the power flush. Now they want to know if I want them to fix it for $4500? I feel like when my transmission fails after performing a service that you recommended after I paid for you to diagnose the problem while still in your possession some its hard to claim there is no liability. Anyone had anything like this happen? If so is a full price transmission repair the best offer you got?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The flushing most likely didn't cause the issue, it exacerbated an existing condition. Regardless, Acura never recommends flushing in any system. But when you've got a 14 year old vehicle with a lot of miles on it, sometimes you have to take the gamble.

When the transmission starts slipping, there is no cure. You can prolong the life of it by driving in D4 (which seems to help for some reason) or by adding a cooler.....either way, you're on borrowed time.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I'd probably shop around.....and investigate getting your transmission rebuilt or a used one installed. Try local transmission shops and see what they offer. Above all, make sure you get a guarantee.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.