Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently mourned the loss of my 1992 Vigor with 225K, and replaced it with a 2000 TL with 80K. It was one owner, and an older couple. After reading about the transmission failures, I am concerned. After reading a bunch of posts I have narrowed it down to:

-3rd and 4th gear solenoid replacement

-fluid change with a Redline or similar trans fluid

Is there anything else that I need to be aware of? Should I do those now? I am getting maintenance history (the timing belt was already done) which seems to be actually overkill. The fluid is perfect when I checked it. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I spoke to my mechanic today, and he suggested reading the owners manual carefully about what gear to have it in. Driving around town to about 40mph I keep it in D3, and the trans isn't hunting around everywhere for gears. D5 only when on the highway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And yet another discovery... the trans was done at 62,000 miles by the dealership, charged $4800 to those poor folks because fluid smelled burnt. The trans is out of warranty and was to the original purchaser anyway. So 20,000 miles since installed. Good time for fluid swap? Too early for solenoids?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts