Acura World banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

This is my first post in this forum so please go easy on me if this was discussed before.
Here is my problem:
I've got a 96 Integra with manual transmission. yesterday i had a weird issue with the gear box. it wouldnt shift even though my foot was all the way on the clutch. i tried shifting it every which way but the knob would not move. than i turned off the engine and put it in 1st gear and then started the car again and the problem was gone. so i thought it was a one time fluke that happened but it happened again today and i solved the issue the same way i did yesterday.

anyone has any idea what the problem and the solution might be?

PS: i did not have an issue like this before but it was always hard to shift gears on this car. especially on 1st and 2nd gear, there's too much resistance in the gear box so i have to push it hard.

Thank you so much! :)

·
Banned
30,092 Posts
What grear are you in when it locks up?

I assume not 1st?

I am going to make a wild guess at worn or bent shifting forks being the cause.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually i was parked and after i started the car i put it on R and backed up a little, then i was supposed to put in 1st to move forward but after switching to neutral position the shift would not move. so basically it got locked in neutral.

·
Banned
30,092 Posts
Sounds like worn shift forks or the clutch is getting weak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So we changed the transmission fluid and the clutch fluid. Transmission seems to be smoother now but today again it got stuck. So I turned off the engine to start it again (since it solved he issue before). But this time the car didn't even ignite. I know it's not a battery problem cause the lights come on when I turn the key once. But the ignition took forever and I had to actually hit the gas in the mean time to start the engine.

Please help!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your information is kinda vague to ask for help, but I have a couple of questions for you.

When you messed with your clutch fluid, did you properly bleed your clutch?

Here's a tip: Once you bleed it to where the pedal feels nice and where it should be, bleed it more. I'm willing to bet if you go to move your clutch fork by hand, under the hood, it's pretty loose. If this isn't the issue, then more than likely you need clutch hardware. When the car ISN'T running, you can freely shift gears without the clutch depressed?

Concerning ignition/power issues, be sure to check all grounds and your alternator wire. If there aren't any issues, after possibly trying another battery, you might have to start following all of your wires in your entire car. Obviously you need to check all hardware (starter, distributor, plugs/wires, sensors/wires)

·
Registered
15 Posts
well, it could be more than 1 thing going on. the car not starting could be the clutch switch. maybe you unplugged it by accident when servicing the clutch fluid, or maybe you messed up the switch. its on the pedal so easy to check.

second, bent forks inside or maybe a shift cable.

is it grinding when you try it?

with the car off, does it shift through the gears?

did you make sure to bleed the clutch line? Can you have someone watch the clutch slave cylinder and see if it is pressing the fork and moving the clutch in and out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts