Acura World banner

Did or Do you have transmission Problem?

• Yes

Votes: 42 44.2%
  • No

Votes: 53 55.8%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
Auto tranny (5AT) only?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the 6 speed manual in my 2007 TL-S. I got the car about a month ago and third gear was a little hard to engage at times. I though the problem was with me not being used to the car (I've driven manual cars for the past 20 years, my last being a '07 VW GTI).
An Acura dealer and service center close to me (Denville Acura, NJ) did a complete transmission flush and adjustment under warranty.
Now it shifts as smooth as butter!

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
I have the 6 speed manual in my 2007 TL-S. I got the car about a month ago and third gear was a little hard to engage at times. I though the problem was with me not being used to the car (I've driven manual cars for the past 20 years, my last being a '07 VW GTI).
An Acura dealer and service center close to me (Denville Acura, NJ) did a complete transmission flush and adjustment under warranty.
For the 6MT, a rough shift into 3rd gear is a known issue. My 2nd gear has a worn syncro (I am told). I can get it in and out of 2nd fine but it will not stay unless I hold it in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im asking about the 5speed Auto. To me when the vehicle shifts it pulls alittle much, or sometimes it feels like it doesn't know if it wants to go into gear or not...it might be me being crazy, just wasn't sure if im the only one it is happening too.

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
Im asking about the 5speed Auto. To me when the vehicle shifts it pulls alittle much, or sometimes it feels like it doesn't know if it wants to go into gear or not...it might be me being crazy, just wasn't sure if im the only one it is happening too.
Sounds like a typical Honda tranny to me. That's why I went with the manual this time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just a simply tranny fluid flush won't solve the problem completely. You'll be fine for short amount of time and then later the 3rd gear problem will come back. i'm assuming you got the tranny oil replaced using acura brand oil... that may last you maybe 3 weeks to a month... and the problem will come back. I know you didn't have a car long enough to tell what is really going on.

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
General, you got the lucky one, one lucky '04 model TL 6MT. Others have problems but you. Just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean it'll be okay for the rest of us.:mhihi:

Hum... Did I say mine didn't have problems? :sqnteek:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hum... Did I say mine didn't have problems? :sqnteek:
I just read that you have some 2nd gear problem where it tends to pop out of the gear when decelerating.. but you don't have 3rd gear problem though. Go get an Automatic IS350. You will love it. It shifts extremely quick and smoothly. I recently got 4.7 seconds 0-60 using my g-meter. I almost threw up due to the extreme g force. But after some repetitive runs I got used to it and feel normal now. My 6MT TL was never able to deliver such level of power.
:beerchug:

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
I just read that you have some 2nd gear problem where it tends to pop out of the gear when decelerating.. but you don't have 3rd gear problem though. Go get an Automatic IS350. You will love it. It shifts extremely quick and smoothly. I recently got 4.7 seconds 0-60 using my g-meter. I almost threw up due to the extreme g force. But after some repetitive runs I got used to it and feel normal now. My 6MT TL was never able to deliver such level of power.
I love the IS (especially the F) but, in this economy, it's too nice not having a car payment! I still really enjoy the TL and mine only has 68k miles on it so I doubt I will get a replacement for at least another year. On the other hand, I am considering getting a "toy" car...possibly a 2010 or 2011 Camaro SS. My only concern there is the probability of GM going out of business. :bash:

·
Registered
120 Posts
oh that's right you got your car already paid off.... nice.:)

The TL has great styling. Also inside is great. The seats made my back very comfortable.

Yea the GM is filing bankruptcy if I read it right somewhere... I don't feel comfortable buying anything from them at this point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had some major transmission problems on my 2004 TL 5AT. It went out totally at only 120K miles and left me stranded in East Texas (yikes!). I was really disappointed because I fully expected to get more than 120K miles out of a Honda product. I got it fixed and then traded it in for a new 2009 Infiniti G37. Hopefully I won't get stranded again!!!:mad:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the third gear problem. The dealership replaced my 3rd gear synchros. And I mentioned this before, but the GM synchromesh works for some people, but I was told by a tech that it's just a band aid.

·
492 Posts
Its so funny how you change your tune every other post..... I remember arguing with you extensively how Auto trans cars suck and anyone who drives an auto is a moron etc..etc...etc... Also how the M/T TL is the fastest car around and delivers the most performance ...yada...yada...yada.... I highly doubt you almost threw up from a 4.7 0-60 run either.... hard breaking generates more G's.... do you puke everytime you have to nail the brakes when some idiot in front of you slams on his/hers?

I bet if you were driving a Plymouth Reliant K you would have some reason to tell all of us how its the best performing car around for one reason or another.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Its so funny how you change your tune every other post..... I remember arguing with you extensively how Auto trans cars suck and anyone who drives an auto is a moron etc..etc...etc... Also how the M/T TL is the fastest car around and delivers the most performance ...yada...yada...yada.... I highly doubt you almost threw up from a 4.7 0-60 run either.... hard breaking generates more G's.... do you puke everytime you have to nail the brakes when some idiot in front of you slams on his/hers?

I bet if you were driving a Plymouth Reliant K you would have some reason to tell all of us how its the best performing car around for one reason or another.
man did you wake up from the wrong side of the bed or something? what's with all this sarcasm...

I stand by what I said about the TL 6MT. The manual tranny on the TL will benefit and will be faster than the automatic TL-"S". The TL has real tall gears so the automatic is useless. When i mentioned about a 6MT TL being almost as fast as a Corvette, I was kidding.

For Lexus IS350, it's very different. The gears are much shorter, nothing like the automatic TL. With increased power and short gears the automatic is the better candidate here. Can't you think? Wait... you don't own the IS350. You don't even know its gear ratios. You didn't even understand how the fuel consumption is affected using short gears vs. tall gears at a given speed when we were arguing a long time ago.

With my IS350, the first time when I meshed the gas pedal to the floor I wasn't prepared. I felt my blood being pushed back and I felt a little dizzy during the acceleration.
I'm now used to it though. I'm prepared when i push it. I don't feel like throwing up now. Stop comparing with the G force on braking. No need for stupid exaggerations.... by the way, it's spelled "brake", not "break". Learn to spell...

I bet you don't even understand what I'm talking about... are you trying find other excuses now?

;)

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
OK, guys, I think this horse has been beat to death.

:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have 130k on my 04' tl.

In my auto trans. it takes like 2 or 3 seconds for the car to switch from reverse to drive/ park to drive/ reverse to park/ etc....

A guy told me that it could be a solenoid valve that needs replacing.

Do I have anything to be worried about?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts