Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2001 MDX touring and I've got 3 questions. 1. Does the figure displayed as the average mpg on the trip screen truely reflect how efficiently the vehicle is using gas? 2. What is the likelyhood of this figure being wrong? 3. If I'm getting a reading of about 10mpg within the city, what should I do, bearing in mind that the EPA rating for the vehicle is 17/23?

·
MDXer
31 Posts
The average is dependent on how often you reset the trip meter. The longer you dont reset it, the longer the average. It isnt exact. Try this. Fill up your tank, reset the trip computer A to 0. Next time you fill up the tank, take the miles on the trip computer and divide by gallons your just put in. This should give you a estimate of mpg. 17/23 is an average. If you are driving purely stop and go city traffic everyday, I've heard of 13mpg if not lower.

Are you up to date on current maintenence? Are tires properly inflated? 2001s are notorius for clogged EGR ports. Right above valve cover. Maybe spark plugs and coils? Tune up?

·
**** Whore
10,136 Posts
I wouldn't go by what that says

As MidnightMDX said, fill the tank up all the way until the (gas station) pump turns off by itself. Reset the trip odometer. Then when you are filling up next, look at how much gas it takes to fill it up (again, until the gas station pump shuts off by itself) and take the miles on your trip odometer and divide by how much gas you just put in. That will get you the MPG for the tank you just used.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts