Acura World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The big day finally arrived. I test drove a 6 speed at Cerritos Acura. I hadn't driven a stick in two years so I asked the salesman to take me to an out of the way place so I wouldn't have to jump into traffic right away. He turned it over to me in a residental area. After a couple of shifts, he commented that I was better than him. :) I guess you never forget some things.

The clutch felt great. Nice and light. I had no problem with the friction point. I didn't stall it although I came close a couple of times. The gates on the shifter are REALLY close together. My last car was a 92 Integra. When I shifted from 2-3 as I did in the Integra, I wound up in 5th on the CL. They're that close. The trick is to put it in neutral and let go of the shifter for an instant. The shifter will center itself perfectly for 3rd. Learn that position and you've got it. The gears themselves are really close too. 3rd gear in the 6 speed felt more like 2nd in my auto. 4th felt like 3rd. 50mph in 4th gear was about 3000 rpm. I never touched 6th.

I let the salesman make me an offer on trade. I have an 01 Type S with navi and 35000 miles. They offered about $19.5k & would pay off my loan balance of $800. The net due for taking the new car was $15k something. He said that was including tax and everything. Oh, that was for a non-navi car. :(

I left Cerritos and drove to Weir Canyon. I got a longer test drive there on La Palma and through some hilly residential areas. By this time I felt almost completely at home with the shifting. Since the streets were less crowded and I had more confidence, I was able to play with the engine more. It hits 6000 rpm VERY fast in 1st gear even at 3/4 throttle. Watch out for that rev limiter, speed racers. It felt like the throttle had no resistance. On mine, there is resistance as you push the pedal and it takes a little bit of muscle to completely floor it. This car took zero effort to floor. I don't know if its just that car, something to do with the manual, or what. I'll need to drive some more to make sure. :D

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
mdaniel said:
On mine, there is resistance as you push the pedal and it takes a little bit of muscle to completely floor it. This car took zero effort to floor. I don't know if its just that car, something to do with the manual, or what. I'll need to drive some more to make sure. :D
Would that be because the manual has no kick-down switch?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts