Acura World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, just wanted to see if maybe I over looked anything for my swap which is to begin tommorrow and I am sposed to have completed by friday. Below is a list of parts that I am replacing

(2) rear/side motor mounts
(1) rear trans mount
(1) VSS
(5) misc heater hoses
(1) thermostat
(1) radiator
(1) temp sesnor
(1) water pump
(1) timing belt
(1) timing belt tensioner
(6) spark plugs
(2) gallons honda coolant
(6) quarts honda atf
(6) quarts castrol synthetic motor oil
(1) oil filter

of note the upper and lower radiator hoses were replaced less than 3000 miles ago, the fuel filter has been replaced about 600 miles ago, the EGR has been cleaned etc. I am not going to do the O2 sensors right away but plan on doing that within the next month, I guess my question is more of does anyone have any heads up for me? I am swapping a "JDM" Type 2 into a 92 LS type 1 sedan with auto trans, I am aware that the Type 1 ecu will work for now as I have a Type 2 ecu but I do not have the Type 2 auto trans which is my next part of this swap, so the ecu and trans will be further down the road. do I have to worry about any wire harness issues or weird placements of sensors etc. I purchased a water pump for a type 2 motor as I wasn't sure if there were any differences, same with the t-belt and tensioner. so anyone that could offer a heads up or helpful suggestion is welcome. thanks guys

Chris

btw was it just me or is acura-legend.com down?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I just did this swap myself on my 93 L sedan so here are some words of wisdom for you. Looks like you got most of the parts covered. I too, am running a JDM Type II with my USDM Type I tranny and USDM Type I ecu and IMO, the car runs great! Here are some things to remember.
-Type I crank pulley is lighter which is why I put that on the Type II before installation.
-Swap the Type I pass. side valve cover on to the Type II, there is a sensor that you will need on that.
-Use your stock engine wire harness.
-Swap the vacuum lines that run along the pass. side valve cover, next to the intake.
-Plug the vacuum lines that used to connect to the emissions equipment mounted to the back of the Type I intake manifold.
-Type II water pumps are different from Type I's, they have 2 outlets.
-Throttle cable reel on the Type II is much bigger than the one on the Type I throttle body. My car idled very high until I switched these two.
-Might as well do a Coolan Bypass DIY before you drop in the Type II. Very easy and there is a write-up on A-L.com about this.
That's all I can think of right now. If you have any other questions, let me know. Good luck, this was the hardest thing I have ever done on a car, thinking about this swap makes me wish I still had my civic.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well here's the thing, I'm not doin the swap, I am too busy at work workin on other people's car that I dont have time to work on my own, so I got a co worker to do most of the work and in my spare time I am gonna be helpin him, good heads up on the valve cover etc. Now as far as the throttle cable reel, I dunno if the motor I have has the Type 2 on it already, with any luck it does, if not if you know where to get one that would be helpful, as far as the TB coolant bypass, I cant even get on a-l.com right now, keeps giving me a database error, I was very interested in doing that. I also failed to mention I picked up a weapon r secret intake with cold air box too, I'm real excited to see how this all works out, I'm anxious to drive my baby again. Hopefully I can snap some pics of the motor while I'm @ work tommorrow, but in the mean time here is a couple before pics, cant wait for the afters

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If you have a Type II motor, the throttle body is going to be bigger and the cable reel is going to be bigger as well. When you start it up with the Type I computer, your idle is going to be abnormaly high, that's because the throttle body is going to be partly open due to the Type II having a larger cable reel. The cable reel is located under that black box to the right of the intake. Notice 2 cables coming out of it. Just take the cable reel from your Type I motor and put it on the Type II throttle body, re-attach the throttle cables and your idle should stabilize itself. It took me 7 months to complete this project, working a full time job and coming home to the garage and working until midnight. Good luck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I just got home from day 1, and we are super busy at work, but my co-worker got the motor removed today, took from 7am till about 4pm when we called it quits for today, I have been very busy with emissions work and a/c recharges tune ups etc, I did happen to snap a few pics of the motor and I did make notes of everything you alerted me too, thank you so much again. My buddy was kinda moanin that the jdm wire harness was cut and we are going to swap it from the driver side to the pass side etc, we know we got our work cut out for us on this project, but we hope to be done friday/saturday ish, we do alot of motor swaps as is, including a fairly tough one on a camry, swapped a JDM motor into that and the difficulty is about as high as the Legend and we cranked that one out in 3 days with removal and swapping over the old parts etc. I wont direct link the pics cuz I'm sure thas gotta be hell for the 56k users, but here are some quick link to the motor pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/2swiftgt/JDM Engine Swap/000_0137.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/2swiftgt/JDM Engine Swap/000_0138.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/2swiftgt/JDM Engine Swap/000_0139.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was just curious where you got your motor from. Did you buy it off ebay? I'm looking at a 95 Legend now, and its got the same thing that was wrong with mine BHG's. How much did you give for that type II engine? Nice looking engine by the way!!! Hope the install goes well for you!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, I picked mine up off of ebay from enginesrus, they shipped from cali to wisconsin in about 7 days and I paid 1185 with shipping and everything, of course it had cut heater hoses, cut wire harness, etc but all in all I cant say I was displeased with them, I'll have a better idea once I get it running. and I had a problem as bad or maybe worse than a blown head gasket, I broke my timing belt at about 4500 rpm, yeah real fun stuff, if you buy from enginesrus, all the above listed parts are things you will need to have it covered under warranty for 6 months unlimited miles, the guys name is bob and he is really good about everything, communicated very well throughout the whole transaction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts