Acura World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all!

Got a question concerning my 2007 Acura TL, base model, automatic tranny. I am in the process of replacing both CV axles on my car, so I went to the auto parts store and got a set for the base version of the car, with the 3.2L engine. Driver's side went in great, no problems. Passenger's side, well...

It doesn't fit. Turns out the I.D. on the old axle is larger than the new axle, and has 29 splines in it, VS. 27 splines in the new axle. I went back and confirmed I did get the right axles for a Base model, but the axle I need is for a Type-S model!

My question is... did they use the same tranny for both the Base and Type-S models in 2007? I was told by some people that the trans is the same on both models, but if that's so, why would all the auto parts stores have 2 different CV axles for the passenger's side? I'm really confused here... might anyone be able to shed some light on this for me?

Any info on this would be much appreciated, you have my thanks!

~Cheers~

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Ignore the aftermarket parts listings, they don't know what they're talking about ;)

The last time I purchased aftermarket CV shafts, it was for a 1990 Civic Base....the model that had vinyl seats and no factory radio. Got the shaft, and it was wrong. Counted the splines, and their listings said I needed Si shafts, even though the transmission was a 4 speed stick.

Yes, the listings are different between the Type S and Base, but don't use their listings as gospel that you have the wrong transmission or some such.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts