Acura World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just wanted to hear some opinions. I just signed up for a $40 a month unlimited car wash package for my Black TL as I am getting so fed up with the salt and sad and snow from the Boston winter ruining the look of my car. The wash is the top of the line with all of the polishes, wheel brite etc. I will probably go about two or three times a week. Is this a good deal or is this a waste of money?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey everyone, just wanted to hear some opinions. I just signed up for a $40 a month unlimited car wash package for my Black TL as I am getting so fed up with the salt and sad and snow from the Boston winter ruining the look of my car. The wash is the top of the line with all of the polishes, wheel brite etc. I will probably go about two or three times a week. Is this a good deal or is this a waste of money?
A good deal is solely based on perception.
Do YOU think its a good deal?

with that being said, I will never let any one touch my car with their harsh bristles, dirty rags, and dirty water.
I dont live in a snowy climate, so I couldnt tell you if i would do the same, if i were in your shoes.

·
Banned
30,092 Posts
Depends on what type of wash system is being used. NPB tends to swirls really badly if not washed and waxed with the utmost care.

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
As far as automatic car washes go, that does sound like a good deal if you're going 2-3 times a week. But if it were me I'd pass, I'm with duckdog on never letting one of those touch my car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I do agree, I am not a huge fan of those machine car washes myself. However, living in the Boston area, there are few other options in the winter with the cold snow, and sand/salt to get my car cleaned. I hand polish it in the springtime afterwards to get the swirl marks out, and you can bet that those machine washes won't touch my car until next winter.

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
Do you have a heated garage? If so you might look into the Optimum No Rinse car wash. Its a pretty good cleaning system when you can't use a hose or have a good indoor area that you can get a couple drops of water on the ground and not freak out about it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Do you have a heated garage? If so you might look into the Optimum No Rinse car wash. Its a pretty good cleaning system when you can't use a hose or have a good indoor area that you can get a couple drops of water on the ground and not freak out about it.
X2 on the ONR

·
Registered
6 Posts
If its a Touchless then its not to bad outside of the fact the harsh chemicals are going to strip your wax/sealant after a few trips .

Hand polishing isn't going to remove the winter swirling ..

My suggestion is to find a wand wash place and just use the rinse water to remove what you can and do proper washes at home when its above 40 F.

I used to faitfully wash my car every Saturday morning at the local car wash. I took my pail/water/soap/mitt and drying towels with me and just used thier spray water. By spring the car wasn't too bad .. a bunch of minor swirling etc etc.

About 4 years ago I went away from that and when we had a day in the mid 30s I would wash the car at home and NOT dry it. The rest of the time I stopped at the local spray wash and just sprayed off the heavy crud and the salt and never dried it. Didn't use thier soap either.

End result come spring the car was in a way better condition than if I did it weekly.

Turns out without a good flood of the surface like you get at home and rinsing after every 2 panels there was grit left on the surface and the mitt/drying towels was rubbing it in and swirling the surface.

Todays cars are well protected from the elements and its most important that they be well rinsed so use the wand to remove the crud, rinse underneath where you can reach and use lots of just water to let it flow through the inner channels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wash ...

I'm in Michigan, :cold: .. and have the monthly plan for $49, that includes wax and tire treatment. Never had any issues with my TSX, so I now trust them with my TL. It also removes any salt and debris from the undercarrige. One of the best washes in MI.
Hey.... Vettes, BMWs and Mercedes can't all be wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in Michigan, :cold: .. and have the monthly plan for $49, that includes wax and tire treatment. Never had any issues with my TSX, so I now trust them with my TL. It also removes any salt and debris from the undercarrige. One of the best washes in MI.
Hey.... Vettes, BMWs and Mercedes can't all be wrong.
Wanna bet ... those are usually the most abused because the people are too lazy or don't have time to do it right. Then in the spring they pay through the ass to have it corrected.

As for your TL... the light color isn't showing the issues right now but it will eventually. If you had dark blue or black you'd be making a different statement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A black car that goes into a automated car wash is a magnet for swirl marks. Black is hard to maintain and it is not advisable for automatic car wash. Better go for an unlimited wash for a mobile detailing business and try to make a good deal for unlimited car wash. You'll pay a little higher for the basic wash but its way better that the automatic car wash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts