Acura World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Ive got a 99 RL that needs a front upper passenger ball joint. Has anyone replaced theirs and Can you give me some insight as to how best to replace it ? Can I replace just the ball joint or do I have to get the whole upper control arm assembly ? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
145 Posts
You could just replace the ball joints, but the price is not that bad to replace the whole upper control arm and saves you a huge hassle. Plus the fact that the bearings on the frame end of the control arm can wear over time and become noisy.

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah.. that's what i did, I replaced the whole control arm. It was a breeze compared to having draw out the ball joint but I had read that they can not be separated from the control arm on an original arm and that you had to replace the whole thing so I did and glad I did because of the ease of doing it and the added assurance of new control arm bushings. So those of you who need it - do it . Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Yeah.. that's what i did, I replaced the whole control arm. It was a breeze compared to having draw out the ball joint but I had read that they can not be separated from the control arm on an original arm and that you had to replace the whole thing so I did and glad I did because of the ease of doing it and the added assurance of new control arm bushings. So those of you who need it - do it . Thanks for the reply
+1

Quite a few problems can be traced to noise coming from the pivot bearings on the upper arm.....best to just replace the whole thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts