Acura World banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
dv8- you think this will benefit a manual legend? i have another typeII manifold that i could try what you did, cutting the entire system out and filling in all the dips and pockets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
ka8-6spd said:
dv8- you think this will benefit a manual legend? i have another typeII manifold that i could try what you did, cutting the entire system out and filling in all the dips and pockets.
You probably shoulnt do what drastic things i did, but you can start by disconnecting the vaccum system that keeps the flaps closed. Get on a dyno and see how it preforms. Before anything you need to upgrade all the breathing parts I,Y pipe, E to start. Messing around with the VIS system when you havent addressed how the engine will get more air and let more of it out will end up hurting performance more than anything.

~TRu Hybrid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
i just need to get a y-pipe built and my bored exhuast manifold on then i should be set for breathing mods... dont quite have enough for a custom header job like you do... :sqnteek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
ka8-6spd said:
i just need to get a y-pipe built and my bored exhuast manifold on then i should be set for breathing mods... dont quite have enough for a custom header job like you do... :sqnteek:
How about a KMS TB and highflow or straightpipe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
i got a straight pipe sort of . 2.5" from y pipe. with resonator to a magnaflow. where can i even find the kms tb anymore?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Dv8 said:
If someone is driving around in 5th gear @ 50mph then they should shred their licence and take up biking.

~TRu Hybrid

:lol:

:p

hey i ride around in "cruise" mode alot lol:D cant go 80 all the time:D

Im drive fast only when i'm not tired, or when im not running errands...

when im tired i'll go like 5 over the speedlimit everywhere:mhihi: IN top gear manual or auto.


Oh and christian...

isn't reducing air velocity on the intake side, then reducing velocity on the exhaust side brewing terrible lowend on an oversquare engine? all the mods you've listed open up the path ways...but i guess if you stay within reasonable sizes you'll be alright.

Maybe it's just me. i like anengine like the 3.5 you've got installed. torque on the bottom, HP up top really isn't that great in relation...but i guess it's all in how you drive. i drive low rpm all day long. Lowend on a muanual wouldn't be that bad though...you're going to have direct connection to the engine so the 100+lbft available at 2000rpm is plenty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
B&O Legend said:
:lol:

:p

hey i ride around in "cruise" mode alot lol:D cant go 80 all the time:D

Im drive fast only when i'm not tired, or when im not running errands...

when im tired i'll go like 5 over the speedlimit everywhere:mhihi: IN top gear manual or auto.


Oh and christian...

isn't reducing air velocity on the intake side, then reducing velocity on the exhaust side brewing terrible lowend on an oversquare engine? all the mods you've listed open up the path ways...but i guess if you stay within reasonable sizes you'll be alright.

Maybe it's just me. i like anengine like the 3.5 you've got installed. torque on the bottom, HP up top really isn't that great in relation...but i guess it's all in how you drive. i drive low rpm all day long. Lowend on a muanual wouldn't be that bad though...you're going to have direct connection to the engine so the 100+lbft available at 2000rpm is plenty.

As long as i open the intake side and inside the engine all the way to the collector of the headers, if i need more TQ ill just pipe the exhaust accoriding to what i need. TQ or Topend HP. I belive as long as we dont over do the diameters there shouldt be much of an issue. we are talking about a big 211 cubic inch import 3.5 lt engine here, not a dinky 1.8. No offense to B18 owners:p

~TRu Hybrid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
i would much rather have top end power...i do a lot of highway travel, so those pesky challeges at highway speeds. and not a lot of in town travel means no need for much low end power. thats just me. and im not into the whole straight line racing too much where you need good tq to get that 60' time. thats just me i guess. and sorry for getting off topic but everyone is thinking about going the turbo route but dont you think that is gonna benefit the top end and lose some low end? a supercharger has that instant on power it is always there no lag what soever. and sorry for getting off topic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
ka8-6spd said:
i would much rather have top end power...i do a lot of highway travel, so those pesky challeges at highway speeds. and not a lot of in town travel means no need for much low end power. thats just me. and im not into the whole straight line racing too much where you need good tq to get that 60' time. thats just me i guess. and sorry for getting off topic but everyone is thinking about going the turbo route but dont you think that is gonna benefit the top end and lose some low end? a supercharger has that instant on power it is always there no lag what soever. and sorry for getting off topic

You want some serious power with one mod? Change out your flywheel and clutch to a 5spd flywheel and spec stage 2-3 clutch, 16-18 lbs off of rotating mass just like that! I cant wait to put her back together.

~TRu Hybrid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
i already did that. remember i was the first one (badintentions on a-l.com)you helped calm my nerves a lot telling me it will work and everything. i want to try the cl-s one now. but money is an issue.maybe once i save up enough i will go that route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
ka8-6spd said:
i already did that. remember i was the first one (badintentions on a-l.com)you helped calm my nerves a lot telling me it will work and everything. i want to try the cl-s one now. but money is an issue.maybe once i save up enough i will go that route.
Oh didnt know you were the same guy. What u sould do is get a dyno before anything! While your on there discconect the 3 (its actually just the #4 hose but you need a helms to tell you which one.)front hoses to open the VIS system and do a pull. This should answer you questions.


~TRu Hybrid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
ok so you want me to disconnect both or just the one. i remember which ones they are still from putting the manifold on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
ka8-6spd said:
i would much rather have top end power...i do a lot of highway travel, so those pesky challeges at highway speeds. and not a lot of in town travel means no need for much low end power. thats just me. and im not into the whole straight line racing too much where you need good tq to get that 60' time. thats just me i guess. and sorry for getting off topic but everyone is thinking about going the turbo route but dont you think that is gonna benefit the top end and lose some low end? a supercharger has that instant on power it is always there no lag what soever. and sorry for getting off topic

correct turbosizing eliminates lag and creates a large bottom end but top end suffers in that scenario...Look at audis, but that's programmed in , they fall off but that's all in the programing i've found out.

the only viable option for supercharging we're left with is centrifugal unless you custom fabricate a manifold. Centrifugals are no better than tuning for NA topend power (doesn't boost lowend end). and that's what you're looking for so centrifugal supercharging would be you:).

sorry for the digression:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
doesn't boost low end? it sounds like you have done more research than i have so cant argue with you too much. but that is good to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
DV8 just wondering if the RL mani would fit on a C32, and if so would the C32 benefit, specifically when compared to say the Type 2 intake mani. My thought would be it would benefit if used with F.I. like a s/c but n/a setups would lose some low end, would you agree?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
LS92Sedan said:
DV8 just wondering if the RL mani would fit on a C32, and if so would the C32 benefit, specifically when compared to say the Type 2 intake mani. My thought would be it would benefit if used with F.I. like a s/c but n/a setups would lose some low end, would you agree?

Yes the manifold will work on a legend, as for vacuum valves sensors is another story. I like it because of the lack of things attached to it, its so much cleaner and no more fast idle suction tube. I really cant tell for sure, the RL mani seems like it would flow more CFM on a flow bench because of the way the suction holes are radiused to catch air, while the Legend TYPE II is bigger in volume(amount of air it can hold) therefore air doesnt travel as fast. Its hard to find out, To make a custom fit to test on a flow bench costs cash. i'd rather speculate. RL manifold shouldnt be to expensive to buy.

~TRu Hybrid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Dv8 said:
Yes the manifold will work on a legend, as for vacuum valves sensors is another story. I like it because of the lack of things attached to it, its so much cleaner and no more fast idle suction tube. I really cant tell for sure, the RL mani seems like it would flow more CFM on a flow bench because of the way the suction holes are radiused to catch air, while the Legend TYPE II is bigger in volume(amount of air it can hold) therefore air doesnt travel as fast. Its hard to find out, To make a custom fit to test on a flow bench costs cash. i'd rather speculate. RL manifold shouldnt be to expensive to buy.

~TRu Hybrid
the reason I ask is cuz the engine shop at school has a bench flow, and I was thinking about retaking engines again just to have access to all the machines to rebuild my spare C32A (type 1) motor, and I have been tinkering with the idea of different manifolds and possibly seeing about using a RR S/C, of course for the time being $ is an issue, Im sure you know how that is, I run acrossed blown blocks all the time and have been keeping an eye out for a C35 block, I'd go as far as to pull my Type 2 manifold just to see the differences in flow between the 2, my manifold was extrude hoaned and polished so I might need to look for a stock type 2 manifold for comparison purposes. I also like the idea of losing the fast idle suction. The only thing that turns me off to the idea is the vaccum valves/sensors, it was enough of a PITA to swap all my type 1 vacuum lines onto my JDM Type 2 so the idea of tinkering with the C35 manifold on a C32 just presents alot of trial, error, and beer, not to mention the time scratchin ur head tryin to find a way to make it work. I have read over your C35 swap quite a few times and have often wondered how many parts would swap back and forth between the 2 blocks, plus with swift on A-L presenting the C32 stroker idea just made me research even more, just wish I had the funds to match my curiosity at the moment. Thanks for the reply
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
LS92Sedan said:
the reason I ask is cuz the engine shop at school has a bench flow, and I was thinking about retaking engines again just to have access to all the machines to rebuild my spare C32A (type 1) motor, and I have been tinkering with the idea of different manifolds and possibly seeing about using a RR S/C, of course for the time being $ is an issue, Im sure you know how that is, I run acrossed blown blocks all the time and have been keeping an eye out for a C35 block, I'd go as far as to pull my Type 2 manifold just to see the differences in flow between the 2, my manifold was extrude hoaned and polished so I might need to look for a stock type 2 manifold for comparison purposes. I also like the idea of losing the fast idle suction. The only thing that turns me off to the idea is the vaccum valves/sensors, it was enough of a PITA to swap all my type 1 vacuum lines onto my JDM Type 2 so the idea of tinkering with the C35 manifold on a C32 just presents alot of trial, error, and beer, not to mention the time scratchin ur head tryin to find a way to make it work. I have read over your C35 swap quite a few times and have often wondered how many parts would swap back and forth between the 2 blocks, plus with swift on A-L presenting the C32 stroker idea just made me research even more, just wish I had the funds to match my curiosity at the moment. Thanks for the reply
FYI,

The Vaccum stuff seems to get less and easier as the yrs increase from 91 legend to 98 RL, the things that get complicated are the ODB2 electronic sensors and such, which i dont use. My RL manifold is a 98 and it eliminated a lot of stuff, that really wasnt needed, i still had the VIS working and no Idle hunting or off idle problems. i had to lengthen a few sensor wires but it was no big deal. I love that manifold, and vacuum should be the least of your worries when considering the change.

~TRu Hybrid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Dv8 said:
FYI,

The Vaccum stuff seems to get less and easier as the yrs increase from 91 legend to 98 RL, the things that get complicated are the ODB2 electronic sensors and such, which i dont use. My RL manifold is a 98 and it eliminated a lot of stuff, that really wasnt needed, i still had the VIS working and no Idle hunting or off idle problems. i had to lengthen a few sensor wires but it was no big deal. I love that manifold, and vacuum should be the least of your worries when considering the change.

~TRu Hybrid
ur absolutley right, vacuum is the furthest thing from my mind, right now the hardest issues for the charger seem to be clearance for the charger and pulley's, the easiest spot seems to be removing the battery and moving it to the trunk and basically rearranging some things in that area to make room for the charger. then the next part is making room for all the other components. I was really happy to see someone got a standalone to work on a legend, I have an AEM universal unit that I used on my last car just sitting around doing nothing, so with the s/c I think I might have found a use for it, plus the great guys on AL posted some very helpful info on the pin locations etc for the wiring.. Still tinkering with fuel delivery options at this point, right now I am kind of in blueprinting stage with the whole project, definetly something I'm not expecting overnight by any means. It just gonan take alot of time to get it done right, if I can get to work properly though the pay off will be great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
LS92Sedan said:
ur absolutley right, vacuum is the furthest thing from my mind, right now the hardest issues for the charger seem to be clearance for the charger and pulley's, the easiest spot seems to be removing the battery and moving it to the trunk and basically rearranging some things in that area to make room for the charger. then the next part is making room for all the other components. I was really happy to see someone got a standalone to work on a legend, I have an AEM universal unit that I used on my last car just sitting around doing nothing, so with the s/c I think I might have found a use for it, plus the great guys on AL posted some very helpful info on the pin locations etc for the wiring.. Still tinkering with fuel delivery options at this point, right now I am kind of in blueprinting stage with the whole project, definetly something I'm not expecting overnight by any means. It just gonan take alot of time to get it done right, if I can get to work properly though the pay off will be great.
I moved my battery to the trunk ages ago its not that bad.
 
21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top