·
Retired at 39 )))))))))
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is the best? Just wondering. :-/

·
Registered
387 Posts
Well, wax is the classic method of protection for a car's paint. You really can't go wrong with a good wax. You should expect great shine, a glossy finish, good water beading properties, and durability between 1 week and 1 month. The biggest downside to me has been the durability of waxes.

Synthetic polymers are modern science's solution to old fashioned plant and animal wax. So, we can assume that more thought and effort went into custom making these new synthetic polishes, whether that means that the chemists succeed or not is another question. I've used some modern synthetic polishes that really sucked. Most noteworthy is Durashine, from the makers of Duralube, which also sucks. Yet many have had stellar results with synthetic products like Zaino, Klasse, and Blackfire. A well designed synthetic polish like these, should produce excellent finish, excellent water sheeting, excellent surface lubrication, and unbeatable durability. These particular products lasts for months, not weeks. I've had my Zaino protected car in the Palm Springs desert sun during windy 45mph wind and sandstorms for a week, pleasantly surprised that the layer of Zaino was not stripped away by the pelting desert sand. Some people would argue that the shine you get from a synthetic is not as good as what you would get from a good carnauba wax, and yes there is some truth to that.

It really is best just to try some of the stuff out there yourself and see what does the job for you. You'll find no shortage of opinions on what is the ultimate car care product.

Which is best?
Shine: toss up. maybe wax is slightly better.
Protection: I would say synthetic.
Durability: synthetic by far.
Cost: usually wax is cheaper.
Ease of application: this varies with each product.

·
Oracle11iGuru
252 Posts
I use the natural Carnauba Brazilian Bees Wax. it is the best. I tried the synthetic and was disappointed.
As far a brands I have used, I think EagleOne has the best Carnauba Wax. I bought the paste wax that come in a jar. Caution don't cake too much on you car, you need a lot of elbow grease to buff it out :)

·
Retired at 39 )))))))))
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wwowowowow Thanks for the good write up !!!!! I'll get to work now and try to get the shine up !

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to use wax. I say polymer based all
the way. Both Zaino and Klasse have been far superior to any wax
based product I've used. It'll last 4 times as long, be easier to wash
and is much easier to apply. The true trick to keeping a car looking
and feeling smooth though is Clay Bar. If you're not clay barring
your car you might as well use that hot spray wax at the drive thru.

·
Registered
387 Posts
IMHO, NuFinish is a waste of money and a classic example of unsubstantiable claims by car polish manufacturers. Try it for yourself and see if it lasts a year as claimed. Better yet, try and see if it even lasts longer than a month.:p All the while, it does absolutely nothing for the car's shine and depth of color.

I'd still say either use a top quality wax(Meguiars, Zymol, Pinnacle) or a top quality synthetic(Zaino, Blackfire, Klasse).

Doing as hattophile suggests and claying the car first is a very good idea. Pick up a bar of Mother's Clay; it works a lot better than the Meguiar's Clay.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Bebber said:
IMHO, NuFinish is a waste of money and a classic example of unsubstantiable claims by car polish manufacturers. Try it for yourself and see if it lasts a year as claimed. Better yet, try and see if it even lasts longer than a month.:p All the while, it does absolutely nothing for the car's shine and depth of color.

I'd still say either use a top quality wax(Meguiars, Zymol, Pinnacle) or a top quality synthetic(Zaino, Blackfire, Klasse).

Doing as hattophile suggests and claying the car first is a very good idea. Pick up a bar of Mother's Clay; it works a lot better than the Meguiar's Clay.
i actually clayed my car today with the Mothers clay kit. man i didn't expect spending 5.5hrs...the claying took quite a while cuz i clayed every inch of the car. but luckily it's only a twice a year thing. i used Meguiar's step 1 cleaner, then step 2 polish, then the wax included in the kit. i gotta reduce a step here cuz i don't have that much time. would Meguiar's Scratch X followed by their Cleaner Wax or Gold Class Wax be sufficient? who's tried the Zymol Cleaner Wax? i think it's 1 of those all-in-ones that covers swirls and scratches and polishes too...that'd really save me a lot of time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
and just a follow-up question here...what's the diff between Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner and Scratch X? the description for both on the Meguiar's site say they remove light scratches, swirls, oxidation and contaminants.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.