Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2010 acura TL with 98k on it back in the October time frame. I drove the car a little spirited during the test drive and didn't catch the really poor transmission shifts. Now that I sit in traffic considerably more with the car the transmission is not right. I have taken it in to Acura and they said it seems ok. I have driven a lot of cars and this trans is far from ok. It may be relevant, but that is not why I am posting this.

I had the timing belt changed a couple weeks after I bought it. Ever since then I have noticed a weird sound (maybe this is just when I noticed it) especially when the car is warming up. Its a deep warble or fluttering sound. It gets louder at certain angles from the engine. You can hear it out in front of the car a lot and it seems to be slightly louder on the passenger side by the timing belt. When I had it at acura the master tech said he heard something, but wasn't really sure what it was and that it might be in need of a timing belt tensioner. I told him it had just been replaced and he said sometimes they need to break in a little and to give it some time. The noise if anything has gotten worse. I took it back to the dealership that did the timing belt and they checked the tensioner and said it was fine. They also said they really didn't hear the noise. To me this noise is supper obvious and I have had other people ask me why my car makes that noise, but yet mechanics don't seem to be able to hear it. I have tried to take a video, but in the video all you can hear is the valve noise. I have used a large screwdriver and a cupped hand to listen to different parts of the engine, but can't hear that noise from anywhere like that.

Has anyone experienced this before? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here we go again, wasting everybody's time "rentalcarsuae12". Why don't you go get a job?

OP, sorry to hear you are having issues. Even a bad video would be better than no video. It is hard to tell what the noise is like from your description. Could be a number of things such as belt, valve lash, piston slap, water pump, engine bearings, injectors etc. Take a video when you hear the noise and post it would be my recommendation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts