Acura World banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure if we'd be back to the forum after we parted ways with our '97 RL but after looking for a replacement vehicle for quite a while, we came full circle and picked up a beautiful silver/black '02 this last weekend. We had some interest in a TL or maybe an Audi A6 but after driving them and then driving the RL...the RL wins!.

Picked it up at a wholesale lot and CARFAX reports as one owner car with higher than average miles (70k) but super clean, price was right, and runs like a dream. Will give it a good washing and post some pics soon.

So, moving right along looking for some clarification on a couple things;

1. Car came with two keys but not the keyless remote(s) I read the 'sticky' about how one can purchase the remotes and program them but didn't pick up that this was do-able on the '02 model.

2. Missing the 'red key' and after reading some other posts thinking this has potential to be costly?

3. Also missing the code for the radio and wondering if this is something that can only come from the dealer or if there is a way for a simple user like me to extract it via OBDII or something?

Just a start but I'll poke around the car some more (and archives) to see what other questions I might come up with.

good to be back!
Brian

·
Cajun Gumbo Man
916 Posts
Welcome back ! Glad you chose to stay in the Acura family.....
I'm sure Jinny will tune in to advise you about the keys and codes for radio....I would just go to a dealership and plea with them...
What part of the Bay area are you from ? Which dealership to you plan to use ?
:bigok: :bigok:

·
jinny=guy, avatar=girl
17,055 Posts
1. can be done, but the instructions might be a little different (the transmitter was changed a little in '02)

2. if you want a red key and the ability to code new keys in the future, then you will have to replace the imobilizer... the new imobilizer will come with a new red key (along with two black master keys and a gray valet key) cut all the keys to match your current keys (so they match the locks) and you are set...

this, however, is expensive...

if you find the right dealer, they may be able to get you a new red key, just from your VIN... usually this is discouraged, since this is part of the anti-theft charateristics.

3. the dealer can get you the radio code, but they may charge you for taking apart the dash to read the serial number on the back of the headunit. if you are willing to do the work yourself, you can get the numbers off the back and ask the dealer for the code.

if you are feeling lucky, you can track down the original selling dealership and ask them... they may have kept the early records of the vehicle, including radio codes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Radio Code

Hi,

Regarding the Radio code, here are the three spots that you can find the sticker for the code.

1. First spot would be the glove compartment. Open it up and look on the side of it and there might be a sticker that was placed by the dealer and the time of delivery.

2. Second spot would be in the ashtray. Open it up and pull out the ashtray and look on the sides or the bottom of it.

3. Third spot would be the fuse box. Open the panel and look to see if it is on the inside of the fuse box cover.

Otherwise you would have to pull the radio and get it from there.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have only one valet key to my 2002 RL 3.5. that starts the car. I was under the impression that I can copy the key as long as I have a key that starts the car.

WHats the actual difference between the valet key and the master key? What can one do that the other cant?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad we stayed with Acura too, if anything just for this forum!

Thanks everyone for the responses, will be able to spend some time this weekend poking around for the radio code, etc.

I suppose the only source for the remote's are the dealer? Some have mentioned the TL remotes are cool but haven't seen any so not sure on the look and feel. I was fine with the remotes that came with our '97 so if the '02 are similar I'm good with that.

We're actually way north from the Bay, just keep driving northeast, past Sacramento, past Auburn, and eventually you'll arrive in the small town(s) of Grass Valley and Nevada City...God's country you might say.

When all was said and done; we paid a smidge over 20k for the car out the door (no Nav) Looks like we'll have a few more smidges once we add in the cost of remotes and such.

will keep y'all posted on discoveries over the weekend.

·
jinny=guy, avatar=girl
17,055 Posts
you can get another key cut to open locks and such but unless you program the chip to match the immobilizer, this key won't start the car...

if all you have is the vallet key, you can't lock and unlock the glove box or the trunk using the key. I think the vallet key is thicker than the regular black key. you can get a black regular key cut to use to lock the glove compartment and trunk, but if you don't have the red key to program the imobilizer, you won't be able to start the car with the new key... (although you may be tricked into thinking it works if you have a properly programmed key is nearby)

·
Registered
12 Posts
RLNewbie said:
I suppose the only source for the remote's are the dealer? .
JUst go to Ebay and type 2002 Acura RL remote in the search box. There are a couple advertised for sale right now with a buy it now price of $23.
That must be enormously cheaper than at an Acura dealership.

·
Registered
135 Posts
RLNewbie said:
Thanks everyone for the responses, will be able to spend some time this weekend poking around for the radio code, etc.

I suppose the only source for the remote's are the dealer? Some have mentioned the TL remotes are cool but haven't seen any so not sure on the look and feel. I was fine with the remotes that came with our '97 so if the '02 are similar I'm good with that.

We're actually way north from the Bay, just keep driving northeast, past Sacramento, past Auburn, and eventually you'll arrive in the small town(s) of Grass Valley and Nevada City...God's country you might say.

When all was said and done; we paid a smidge over 20k for the car out the door (no Nav) Looks like we'll have a few more smidges once we add in the cost of remotes and such.

will keep y'all posted on discoveries over the weekend.
20,000 for a 02 is not a bad deal. you could've got a 2000 for cheaper though.

but regardless, a 99-04 model is much more gratifying than the 96-98 models.

I think you will come to agree once u get to drive the car a bit more.

oh and for the radio code, check inside the leather owners manual case/cover. sometimes they slide the radio code card in there.

·
jinny=guy, avatar=girl
17,055 Posts
nice... sounds like they just send you a remote that is already programmed...

since there are a couple seperate topics in this thread, just to clear up any confusion...

the remote programming and key programming are different...

if you want another remote, you just need to buy a new remote and go thru the process of programming it to your system... I believe all you need is your key.

if you want another key, you need to get a new one cut AND have it programmed to the imobilizer... you need the red key to do this... if you don't have the red key, you can try to get the dealer to make you one off of a duplicate/master red key they have (some dealerships don't have them... or at least say they don't have them), or you have to replace the immobilizer and get a whole new set of keys.

·
138 Posts
I got my key copied/programmed for 30 bucks without any red key or whatever (only got one black key when I got the car 2002 rl silver/black non nav 33,800 miles perfect condition for 21,950 before taxes in aug) at some local guy in front of the local dmv here for 30 bucks. I was skeptical at first but keys been good for me for like 2 weeks now and the original acura key is no where near the copied key so you guys should find a guy that can copy transponder codes or whatever. beats the hell out of payin 155 local acura dealer wanted to make one and givin me a hard time about it . It doenst have the acura logo sticker but for 30 bucks can't beat it. Has anyone ordered from the url listed above? I need remotes as well .. us 2002 guys just need the programming info then we can snag it off ebay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The problem is that i only have the grey valet key.. can that be coppied?

Thats all i got when i bought my 02' RL car at the auction.

·
138 Posts
I dont think that would be a problem are you in ny? The procedure this guy used was he put the key in the machine to copy the code, valet key has to have the code or the rl wont go anywhere .... valet keys thicker but grooves should be the same yeah?

·
138 Posts
goto the coney island dmv in the lobby of that building some russian guy does the key/remote whatever. where did you take your old acura for maintenance?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts