Acura World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Integra that I wanted to keep for four more years. But today the timing belt broke - on the way home from getting the rear glass replaced :(

I understand this is a zero-tolerance engine - therefore a paperweight - right?

Should I try to find a used engine and install it myself?

Can I sell the car, trade it in, or do I have to pay to get rid of it?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you dont have the gsr then you're looking around 900-1400 for a crate engine itself. When my head gasket went on my 96 accord, it was just a little more to swap out the engine so I did it and got 2 years out it before I sold it...nothing wrong with it just time for a new ride. If you want another 4 years out of your integra then it would be a good investment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I took the valve cover off today and took a closer look. The timing belt lost a bunch of cogs, but it looks like no damage to the valves or pistons. Perhaps I'll skate by with just a new timing belt. Fingers crossed.

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
I would recommend having a qualified honda shop check for damage to the valves. You could slap a new t-belt on it but I would do a compression check before taking it for a drive. Just because the component's don't appear to be damaged doesn't mean that you don't have a slightly bent valve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can sell your car at the price of junk or can make it run again with an engine replacement. Look for online resources, where you can find engine replacement options with a used or rebuilt engine that cost much lower with higher performance output. You can find such engines at sites such as hiperformer.com.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you should buy used engine and install it on your own. I’m suggesting you this because firstly it’s very economic and secondly you can easily do it on your own. So if you can install the engine on your own why paying hundreds of dollars to mechanics. Here’s a place named Buyusedengine.com website from where I got my used engine. You can check out this place as well

·
Old Parts Slinger
9,587 Posts
Pull the head off and check for damage. No damage, reassemble with new timing belt and be on your way. If you have damage, get a motor from the junk yard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts