Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before purchasing the car did you guys drive the G35, I30, IS300, ES300, 330i/ci, 325i/ci etc. If so what were the key factors for chosing the TL/TL-S. As far as value goes, I think it's one of the best in the market, but i want to hear some other opinions.
thanks!

LIL Raja
 

·
A-Spec Fan
Joined
·
171 Posts
Value, value, value. The money I saved in buying a TL (TL-P specifically) over my other choices, all much more expensive, has gone into

--my suspension project, currently awaiting tires
--the stock market (I'm a long-term investor, these doldrums will pass!)
--savings

Other reasons:
--looks great
--I'm a Honda guy
--thought it would be reliable (before I knew about the tranny stuff)
--fun to drive (and will be more so with stiffer springs, better tires, and larger wheels).

I was hooked from the first test drive.

I love my TL, though the 330i is really tempting...
 

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
Joined
·
3,018 Posts
I was thinking about buying I30 before I got my TL. It's little bit more pricy, but it was manufactured in Japan and I liked Navigation system. However, it doesn't have re-sale value and didn't like the interior.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
Had an Accord V6 coupe and loved the car so the TLS wasn't a far
stretch. The G35 wasn't out and the I35 didn't appeal to me,
besides... I didn't really want an Infiniti. My friend bought a 330i,
but I didn't want to spend $40+ for a car when I knew I would
spend another $5k in mods. I also don't want to drive a
Mercedes or BMW... just a choice I had. There's just a stigma of
snobbiness that I don't care for. That and the dealers around
here are complete asses. For some god aweful reason, those
who cater to the rich act the most like they're rich. :dunno: The
IS300 was just a bit too ricey stock. The poor civics with alteza
lights really ruined that car for me. I didn't like the older A4's
much. Had the new A4 been out I might have opted for that
instead. The es300 is fugly and too sedate and the old es300 is
just old. GS400 was tempting... but it was also used. And Acura
is just in a certain niche for semi youth, semi sport, semi luxury.
So the TLS didn't win out by any far margin at anything. Quite
honestly, beside price there's a better car for any single category.
But, it had a nice blend of everything.
 

·
I am no one
Joined
·
14,751 Posts
to me it's pure value and my budget. initially i was only thinking about accord v6 coz' that's pretty much what i could afford. but i always hate to have that car and there came the tls, which is more expensive but it's so much better. so i spilled out the money and get the car. all other cars in the same level are more expensive than the tls so there was no way i could get it. and at that time my dream car was the 330i of course :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,140 Posts
I had ordered a 330i, put money down, gone through the whole 3 month waiting ordeal, then when it got to the dealer, I canceled it. I have to give BMW credit; they didn't have a problem with it. They probably sold it within a week. It was just smaller, not much better build quality, looks were about even (2 totally different styles, though), and, was almost $10K more.
Would NOT buy and Infinity/Nissan.
IS300, same problem as 330i. Only other Lex I would buy (in my range) would be a GS400, and that was too spendy at this juncture.
I'm happy with my decision. Insurance is great, car is great, future is great. :beerchug:
Now, if I were making $20K more per year... I think I would have an //M5....
 

·
I am no one
Joined
·
14,751 Posts
SimTypeS said:
I had ordered a 330i, put money down, gone through the whole 3 month waiting ordeal, then when it got to the dealer, I canceled it. I have to give BMW credit; they didn't have a problem with it. They probably sold it within a week. It was just smaller, not much better build quality, looks were about even (2 totally different styles, though), and, was almost $10K more.
Would NOT buy and Infinity/Nissan.
IS300, same problem as 330i. Only other Lex I would buy (in my range) would be a GS400, and that was too spendy at this juncture.
I'm happy with my decision. Insurance is great, car is great, future is great. :beerchug:
Now, if I were making $20K more per year... I think I would have an //M5....
haha you are talking about me too :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
I was going to buy a used M3 sedan or mecerdes C280 but my parents won't let me purchase used car since they are paying part of it. So I went a Acura Dealer that I know to take look their new car and I saw the Type-S (didn't know they have that model till I was there) My Mother think the car look nice and roomy and we just purchased.

If my parents wasn't here at that time (for my graduation) I think I would drive a M3 now because I always like rear wheel drive. :D But TL is a nice car too, i don't mind to drive one:)

I also bought a 92 BMW 325I from my previous boss and the car has better handling than TL because of the rear wheel drive.

(I can only do 40mi with manual 2nd gear when going from Mowry Blvd to 880 south and the Bimmer can go 42 with 4th gear)
 

·
That is all.....
Joined
·
5,936 Posts
Thinking about a IS or 330ci, but dreaded the thought of RWD in snow. I was leaning more towards the IS300, because I thought it handled a lot better and it had the "boy racer" look that I kind of like. But I went with the tL-s cause it's faster right out of the gate and the is300 made me feel cramped in there. Plus the escaine which was the only option last year made my boxer's ride up and give me wedgie. I know small gripe, but a big one in everyday driving comfort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
evolaerok said:
Thinking about a IS or 330ci, but dreaded the thought of RWD in snow. I was leaning more towards the IS300, because I thought it handled a lot better and it had the "boy racer" look that I kind of like. But I went with the tL-s cause it's faster right out of the gate and the is300 made me feel cramped in there. Plus the escaine which was the only option last year made my boxer's ride up and give me wedgie. I know small gripe, but a big one in everyday driving comfort.
Get the IS300 is black or gray then get CF hood with some nice Volk lightweight wheels. U will love that sucker. Make sure you get a 5 speed one. I agree with you as well, it's got the "BOY RACER" look to it that I really like.

LIL Raja
 

·
That is all.....
Joined
·
5,936 Posts
LIL RAJA said:


Get the IS300 is black or gray then get CF hood with some nice Volk lightweight wheels. U will love that sucker. Make sure you get a 5 speed one. I agree with you as well, it's got the "BOY RACER" look to it that I really like.

LIL Raja
If I can find a fairly priced used one I might buy it. I just love the thought of tuning the that 2jze supra motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
check this out!!! this is such a good deal

************************************************
Would anyone be interested in a white pearl 01 Lexus IS300 w/ 34K miles (I know it is a lot of miles, but the car used to be my daily driver)? The current Kelley's blue book value is still $25K, but I'm selling for $21K. The car also comes with some mods like the A'PEXi S-AFC, intake, exhaust and suspension. Stock parts are also available.
Excellent condition with brand new Potenza RE040 tires (2000 miles) and OEM rotors and pads (500 miles). A good choice for S2K alternative.
[email protected]
**************************************************

This is a great deal. Tell him LIL RAJA from www.s2ki.com board has sent u. This is in Cali, not too far from CO.

comes with some mods 2.

LIL Raja
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Well since the TL has been my first and only car so far, my parents and I test drove one and I told them I liked it and my parents just ended up buyin me the TL for the features, value, etc., I only test drove a few 96-97 SC400 and SC300's before my parents bought me the TL, but I am happy they made the decision to buy the TL.:bigok:
 

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
Joined
·
3,018 Posts
LIL RAJA said:


Get the IS300 is black or gray then get CF hood with some nice Volk lightweight wheels. U will love that sucker. Make sure you get a 5 speed one. I agree with you as well, it's got the "BOY RACER" look to it that I really like.

LIL Raja
That's another idea. Toyota usually have more value than Honda's. I've always wanted to have small powerful sedan. :bigok:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top