Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im talking...family..."my parents" SUV type...not no billino dollah hummer...my mom wants x5...we've never had a SUV before...so please help...NEW or USEd...doesn't matter...whats good out there? my FAV. on the list is x5...4.4 anyone?
please indicate model and price and year. THANKS ALL!~

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
I say go with the Acura MDX. My dad has the x5 4.4i and he might be getting rid of it soon. Maybe. The car is strong on performance and style, but poor on utility. So poor my dad bought a Yukon XL(lil brothers driving it for now). The MDX has performance, style, and utility for a cheaper price. Now I know all the bmw peeps will say otherwise... *cough Ken, Jizz, and D... but the answer is really up to your mom. If she wants to give up some space and all weather drivability, go for the x5. If she can give up some ultimate drive for some utility and better reliability, go for the MDX or Pilot. If she also wants the brand, then go for the x5 or escalade. By the way. While waiting for my wife at the grocery store, I was reading consumer reports and the x5 got one of the worst reliability record. The X5 and the Durango was the only 2 out of the ten that was over 20k that had issues.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Honestly, if you're looking for class, performance, luxury and you're not going to be hauling 4x4s around, go w/ the X5.

If you're looking for reliability and comfort, look for a used Toyota 4Runner or the new Toyota Sequoia. You can never go wrong w/ a Toyota product and you know that it'll run until the tires fall off.

Best of both worlds would be the the Acura MDX. However, I'm not too crazy about its styling and it looks a little small to me, but people seem to enjoy it and the public can't be wrong.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I would really NOT recommend a 4Runner! Have you looked inside those things recently? They're totally 80s in interior design. That truck hasn't been updated in forever and is really at the low end of the pack nowadays. Sure, it's a Toyota and it will be reliable but there's so much competition out there that I think there are several other better choices. The Highlander and Pilot are nice. Hell, I'd even buy a TrailBlazer over a 4Runner and I absolutely HATE Generic Motors.

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
i would say if you want reliability and durability, look at the toyota highlander or the sequoia. i have sat in both and they are really solid. to some extend, if you get the top model, you don't really have a feeling that it's "another toyota" it's not as good as lexus but it's still very very nice. especially the sequoia, it's a monster.

but if you purely want the look and performance, of course 4.4i x5 is the one to go. it's the king. i love its styling and performance. it wouldn't be the best car to go around mountains, but it's a damn nice car on the street.

the acura mdx.... i don't know, it's a good car, but it has several downside. first the tires are way too thin imho, it just doesnt' grip at all. plus the last row of seats are really small, i am 5'7" and i don't feel comfortable at all back there, specially leg room. the seats aren't very good looking too (maybe i am too picky)

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
One more thing, if she gets the sports package. Do not drive it in the snow. The 19's are horrible in the snow. This is one of many reasons why my father dislikes the x5. a true SuV should have no problem in snow or rain. It's one of the many reasons why people buy SUV's anyway.

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
hhaa, but seriously i strongly believe bimmer NEVER ever design the x5 for suv purpose at all :) it's all for look. otherwise why would there be the new 4.6si?

·
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ack!~ too many choices...x5, escalde, sequia...is what i am basically down to...ever since I added mods to my ACURA...my mom hated it...espeically what WHIsh sound that came with intake... I guess I'll have a better finalized model once I find out whether lease is good or buy is good...

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
rominl said:
hhaa, but seriously i strongly believe bimmer NEVER ever design the x5 for suv purpose at all :) it's all for look. otherwise why would there be the new 4.6si?
You can call it SAV or whatever, but when I dad bought it and registered, it was registered as a SUV. ;)

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
evolaerok said:

You actually read that thing? Man I guess I'm the only one who just got in and drove and came to the sites for info.
well i was from mars... i didn't know about all these forums back then.... and i had to stay home at night when i got my car instead of driving it all the time, so..... i read the whole damn thing :D

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
rominl said:

well i was from mars... i didn't know about all these forums back then.... and i had to stay home at night when i got my car instead of driving it all the time, so..... i read the whole damn thing :D
yeah I drive it all the time. 23k miles first year!

·
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol...oh yea...i totally forgot about the land cruiser...imma look more into the lexus lx...i luved it too...

evo: im with you there!~ me 23k first year too...currently 28k...1 year and half since my purchase....i rarely use my car now...or at least i try to...

·
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
reliability...in details...and examples...like what...in what type of situations...etc...thanks...

i've hurd or read that x5 is built very strongly and has received a perfect score on 40 or 60 mph front crash test...?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.