13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a full 360 in my CLS in an autocross about a year ago. :D

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
autoxCLS said:
I did a full 360 in my CLS in an autocross about a year ago. :D
never, not dare to do it with our stock tires where you can literally go ANYWHERE out of control :)

i am interested in knowing how you did it though :)

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: What's the largest spin you've done in a CL/TL?

rominl said:

never, not dare to do it with our stock tires where you can literally go ANYWHERE out of control :)

i am interested in knowing how you did it though :)

Well, I didn't MEAN to do it... I had too much speed coming out of a slalom into a tight double-box turn (imagine two squares whose center is offset 5-10 feet, the top one to the right of the bottom one, but with only 20-30 feet between the top of one and the bottom of the other) and when I came out of the 2nd box, I had to come back to the left and accelerate towards the finish. Since I had carried a LOT of momentum out of the box, when I tried to take it back to the left, the rear slipped out, and I ended up pointing almost fully back at the finish line.

VSA was off, cause it screws up handling and the only thing you can hit is a cone.

It was a blast.

I got lots of cheers on it. :D

·
Registered
633 Posts
funny this should come up today. today I was bored so I went to my little brothers school parking lot to play around. (there's a straight road back there a little longer than 1/4 mile) so anyways, I made a sharp turn, floored it, and downshifted to second all at the same time. My tires peeled out for like 10 seconds:D this is the most I've ever spinned.:cool:

I felt bad afterwards so I went home to clean my car:D

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
You guys crazy!!!:uhh:

·
Jack This
2,318 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
badazzTL: HEY!! i showed you that!!!!!!!!! :D

i did a 360 too, on wet pavement. it was pretty cool! :cool:

@[email protected] :cool:
Yes and I blame you for making me burn up the tread on my tires:bash:

maybe I'll do a 360. how would I do this?:naughty:

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
badazzTL said:

Yes and I blame you for making me burn up the tread on my tires:bash:

maybe I'll do a 360. how would I do this?:naughty:
Turn VSA off if you have it.

Get going about 30-40 mph in a straight line in a VERY DESERTED PARKING LOT.

Make a mostly hard turn to the left.

Get on the brakes pretty hard as you turn EXTREMELY hard to the right.

As you start to spin, keep the accelerator pushed down enough so the front tires keep spinning.

Should work. :D

Remember, I did this at an autocross where I never got out of 2nd gear, so it doesn't have to be terribly fast.

The problem with using the e-brake is that you can't release it as you start to spin, so when the tires enevitably grab, you stop.

*disclaimer* Be safe rather than sorry - I was also wearing a helmet at the time and strongly belted in.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
autoxcls:
720...right after putting my springs in...on a wet night. Fun as hell and no body roll :). When I go home I have a parking lot in mind I'll be trying some more on...and this time I'll get videos. As I say this...there's no way our cars can flip from just spinning is there? Because it felt pretty solid on that 720...but I would like to know this before I go nuts...

Austin519

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Austin519 said:
autoxcls:
720...right after putting my springs in...on a wet night. Fun as hell and no body roll :). When I go home I have a parking lot in mind I'll be trying some more on...and this time I'll get videos. As I say this...there's no way our cars can flip from just spinning is there? Because it felt pretty solid on that 720...but I would like to know this before I go nuts...

Austin519
Well - on wet pavement, it's a big difference. Flipping is due to the tire hitting something that exerts lateral force back on it. That can be due to the tire "grabbing" or from hitting a curb, etc while in the spin.

·
Purchased: April 28, 2001
1,440 Posts
Austin519 said:
autoxcls:

Austin519
Since you are on stocks...probably not. But...I saw a vid of this stuntman purposely flipping a BMW over doing a 360. No ramps...no potholes...and it was on a track. They were demonstrating how you can easily flip vehicles even if it was a luxo sports car.

I'm not quite sure if he was purposely doing it or not (since he had no helmet) but he started doing rolls when he reached 270.

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
edgalang said:

Since you are on stocks...probably not. But...I saw a vid of this stuntman purposely flipping a BMW over doing a 360. No ramps...no potholes...and it was on a track. They were demonstrating how you can easily flip vehicles even if it was a luxo sports car.

I'm not quite sure if he was purposely doing it or not (since he had no helmet) but he started doing rolls when he reached 270.
i think, by far, from what i have heard, mb is the only company that guarantees their car doesn't flip in accidents. i think they have a policy that if their car flips during accidents, you get a brand new one. i don't know if it's really true, i read it from the news after diana's death (in the mb s class) long time ago.

·
Purchased: April 28, 2001
1,440 Posts
rominl said:

i think, by far, from what i have heard, mb is the only company that guarantees their car doesn't flip in accidents. i think they have a policy that if their car flips during accidents, you get a brand new one. i don't know if it's really true, i read it from the news after diana's death (in the mb s class) long time ago.
Man...that's a tought one. I guess no one would ever want to flip...but you can technically drive off a cliff and flip all you want. I do know that MB has some sort of roll bar that shatters through the rear window if it detects your car flipping over. For sure they have it on the convertibles...but the salesman was also telling me they have them on the sedans too.

But anyways...good point. Now we should all try and disprove that theory and look for a flipped MB. Come to think of it...I've never heared of one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.