Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
This is what I found, if this is true, NSX will for sure be a car that I would want in my garage!!

2004 NSX musings in Motor Trend magazine
Submitted by TOV News on December 05, 2000 at 01:03:45:
Since I don't have a subscription to Motor Trend magazine, I'm a little late in giving this information. Thanks to all who told me about it.

Here is what they had to say:

Acura is preparing to take on the likes of Ferrari's 360 Modena when it revamps the now-decade-old NSX. And the attack won't be led with a V-6 engine.

Word on the street is that the replacement for the current 3.5 RL sedan will be based on a larger, rear-drive platform, and will be power by a V-8. Honda's new V-8 will displace between 3.8 and 4.0 liters, making it competitive with top-line models from Lexus and Infiniti.

Acura will spin off a high-performance version of this powerplant for the NSX, which will remain mid-engined; early reports spoke of a front-engine roadster, a la BMW Z8, but we hear that's not the case. Considering that the aforementioned Ferrari already puts out 396 horses, we can't imagine the NSX
showing up with less than 400 hp. One casualty probably will be loss of the
current car's alloy body panels. They save weight, but increase cost, and in
order for Acura to afford the new V-8, something has to give. So the new car
likely will have conventional steel bodywork. Look for it in 2004 at the latest, perhaps as an '05 model.

One reader said that the drawings look like the Mitsubishi Eclipse and that it'll have an F1-style gearbox and a conventional 6-speed tranny.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good, especially remaining mid-engine'd. I wish they would keep it light, but I guess cost comes before performance. When you want to make money off the car you gotta keep it affordable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts