Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, after getting inspired by the brilliant guys at the TL Forum thread, I'm seriously considering doing this mod and selling the units to you guys at a reasonable cost.

This mod basically adds a handful of much-demanded functionality to our power windows:
  • Auto up/down for all windows
  • Auto open-close-tilt(?) for the sunroof
  • All windows and sunroof open from key fob
  • Windows always on, even when car is off
So far I'm only in the research phase, so I don't know if this mod can be easily and cheaply done; but so far everything seems to be quite easily accomplished. If this design is possible, I'm thinking of selling this mod in a box the size of a cigarette pack for about $50 plus shipping. It could be installed in the door behind the armrest, or perhaps under the dash.

If you'd like to support a mod like this, please reply to this message so that I can gauge the demand for this item, and determine if I can recoup my investment in the programming station that I'd have to buy to make this possible.

I'm trying to make the unit generic enough so that it'll be usable on TLs and CLs, perhaps RLs, and even other similar cars.

If this mod is successful, I may want to go on with others based on the same concept, such as a cheap shock sensor add-on (probably under $20), and such. Whatdya think?

·
Registered
387 Posts
not that easy

Daverman,

I've done some research into the whole window and sunroof mods before cause this was something that I really wanted in my car and have since implemented. Currently, my sunroof and all windows are full one-touch auto up and down. I have an additional in dash switch for rolling up/down/venting all the windows simultaneously. All my windows close automatically upon car arming, and I can lower the windows with my aftermarket alarm remote control.

The difficulty of modifying our window setup is that it uses multiplexed wiring. When you press the window switch, it sends a signal over a data bus to the CPU which processes the signal and returns an operation command to the respective window motor. This ain't your daddy's caddy's power window setup using direct electrical connections. So for you to be able to power the windows when the car is off, you may need to continuosly power some of the CPUs that are onboard the car. I haven't seen the schematics, this may or may not be an easy job. Other than that, I doubt even the Helm manual would be so specific as to tell you how to mimic the exact command for each window to go up/down and for you to duplicate in your microcontroller. This might be possible, but I can tell you that it sure doesn't sound like it would be easy to design nor would it be easy enough for the average do-it-yourselfer to install.

The best solution I came up with was to use the DEI 530T automation modules for the 4 windows. It requires tapping into the wiring in each door, but was the only way around the multiplexed signals problem short of major electrical work.

Off the shelf sunroof and window automation modules won't work on our sunroof cause of it's tilt feature. Don't be deceived, just because we have a seperate button for the tilt feature does not mean that it's a different motor that's causing the tilting. There's only one motor for the sunroof, and in one position, it is fully opened, in the other position the sunroof is tilted up. When the close button is pressed on the stock sunroof switch, the circuitry somehow figures out exactly when to stop the sunroof motor so that it is perfectly shut. There's probably some limit switches in the sunroof track, but I didn't remove the entire headliner to examine it fully. I did peer into the rear of it a notice some wires coming out of the sunroof assembly. Using an aftermarket sunroof module would not close your sunroof properly. It will close in the tilted position.

This is why I came up with the design on A-tl of interfacing with the stock sunroof switch using a timed relay. For most users, the timer relay is the easiest way to make the sunroof true one touch open and one touch close. If you can buy the wire harnesses, you should be able to make a plug n' play electronic module that connects to the stock sunroof switch. The only other connection that would be needed is +12V which can be found behind the driver's side fusebox.

Well, Dave. This is just my input after tinkering around with the stuff myself. I hope it can be of some use. I wish you luck in your knightridermobile automation project. Just don't get carried away and start talking to your wristwatch, then we'll have to call in the men in white coats to take you away.

-josh

·
Oracle11iGuru
252 Posts
you got my $50. I'm in

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bebber: you may be right--this may turn out to be an impossible mod. However I won't be able to say one way or another until I get my hands on a wiring diagram. If it comes down to usurping the entire window control logic myself, so be it. It's still not that hard!

·
Registered
26 Posts
If its fairly easy to install i'm in. Dave, even if you can't get all the capabilites you want, i.e power windows with car off, i think at a minimuim the auto sunroof would sell or the sunroof with all windows one touch.

Good luck I hope to hear some good news from you soo

·
Registered
56 Posts
man i'd like to do something like bebber did...automated shizz...when armed sweet!!!! hook it up bebs!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm in if it will work on the 99TL!:beerchug:

·
Oracle11iGuru
252 Posts
$50 x 5. Convinced 5 other friends @ work. TLinKC doesn't count

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm buying a used Helms manual from a fellow forum member. We'll see if this is doable when I get the manual in my hands.

·
Purchased: April 28, 2001
1,477 Posts
daverman said:

• Auto up/down for all windows
  • Auto open-close-tilt(?) for the sunroof
  • All windows and sunroof open from key fob
  • Windows always on, even when car is off

If this mod is successful, I may want to go on with others based on the same concept, such as a cheap shock sensor add-on (probably under $20), and such. Whatdya think?
Why dont you try the cheap aftermarket alarm addon project first (since you might go through it faster)? I was just looking into that and figured it would be time well spent especially if you are going through a job transition.

As for the $50 list...how would you make all the windows go down? Press and hold the unlock button on our key fob? If you could get just the first 2 on the priority list below to work...I'd say you have a deal. (But I still think the added alarm to the stock setup is more important...but you might have less customers overall because of all of the aftermarket alarm users already)

Here's my priority list if not all of them is possible to do and a short explanation why they are arranged in that order.

#1 All windows and sunroof open from key fob

Great for the summer time. And unlike Jettas...we wont need the key.

#2 Auto open-close-tilt(?) for the sunroof

The only window I may open during highspeed driving is the sunroof to ventilate heat...so a 1-touch feature helps you keep your hands on the steering wheel.

#3 Auto up/down for all windows

The main one is already taken cared of (driver side for toll bridges)..the rest is just for "kicks".

#4 Windows always on, even when car is off

The only time I would use this feature is if you are making out with someone in the backseat at night...and frankly I'd rather keep my windows closed.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Re: Window automation mod

edgalang said:
Why dont you try the cheap aftermarket alarm addon project first (since you might go through it faster)? I was just looking into that and figured it would be time well spent especially if you are going through a job transition.
I hope you're not going through a job trasition, cause I'm not...

I've done some research on these shock sensors, and apparently they're pretty cheap and easy to install already. You can buy an adjustable shock sensor for about $10 and integrate it with the TL's alarm system.

As for the $50 list...how would you make all the windows go down? Press and hold the unlock button on our key fob?
I was thinking: press the Door Unlock button four times in five seconds.

·
Purchased: April 28, 2001
1,477 Posts
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.