Acura World banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my car for 1 year and a half and I've had to replace my windshield when I got this enormous crack from a flying freeway rock.

Well, I got another rock shot at me this week on the CA rock infested trucking haven we call a freeway. This time it was bad, but not as bad so I tried a windshield repair service instead. Results are ok and $60 for a repair is a lot cheaper than $1000 for a stock Acura windshield and still cheaper than a $350 aftermarket one.

Any bets as to how long before I get another chip and need a new windshield again? Seriously, if I had it my way, I would pass legislation that any truck demonstrating overfilled, uncovered storage of rocks/gravel/sand/compost/whatever should be pulled over by the CHP and given a $1000 fine. If the fine was that high, the trucking companies would quickly learn that it's not economical to endanger lives and property with their negligence. On top of that, with a $1000 fine, CHPs will be on the look-out for rogue truck drivers and leave us innocent speeders alone.
Why bother the small fry when you can go after the big fish?

Anyone have any connections to enact this?
 

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
Joined
·
3,086 Posts
That's good idea Josh. I still have rock chip on my front W/S since last year. It's not really noticable and doesn't cracked so I just left it.

BTW, where did you quoted for $1000 W/S?? That's too much!! Even with A/M W/S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do attempt get out of the way of the rock trucks, but sometimes a few hits are unavoidable and happen faster than you can say "cracked windshield."

The time that my windshield really got cracked was when a car kicked up a rock at me and it hit my car. Since I was travelling at 75mph and the rock was travelling at probably 100mph in the reverse direction, yes a 175mph projectile launched from a distance of 40 feet would require a reaction time faster than humanly possibly to avoid.

I hate rock trucks. :mad:
 

·
I am no one
Joined
·
14,897 Posts
Bebber said:
I do attempt get out of the way of the rock trucks, but sometimes a few hits are unavoidable and happen faster than you can say "cracked windshield."

The time that my windshield really got cracked was when a car kicked up a rock at me and it hit my car. Since I was travelling at 75mph and the rock was travelling at probably 100mph in the reverse direction, yes a 175mph projectile launched from a distance of 40 feet would require a reaction time faster than humanly possibly to avoid.

I hate rock trucks. :mad:
it hurts just as much when it hits the middle of the hood...... you don't want to hear my story :(
 

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
Joined
·
3,086 Posts
rominl said:


it hurts just as much when it hits the middle of the hood...... you don't want to hear my story :(
Come on guys!! Let's hear rominl's story.
:grouphug:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,009 Posts
In Florida, your insurance is required by law to replace your windshield free of charge, regardless of your deductable. Are other states the same?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
autoxCLS said:
In Florida, your insurance is required by law to replace your windshield free of charge, regardless of your deductable. Are other states the same?
CA has no such law, but some of the nicer insurance companies do that anyways.
 

·
I am no one
Joined
·
14,897 Posts
songoku said:


Come on guys!! Let's hear rominl's story.
:grouphug:
oh boy, you guys are mean :) anyway, i was driving back from LA to san jose on the i5, afternoon. it's cool, i was driving like 85mph which isn't that fast on that straight road. and during that 350 miles drive, i was strike out...

driving and suggest heard a pop sound, then see something very tiny (but dark) flew up my bumper and up in the air.... no doubt, a small chip on the bumper. strike one.

driving and driving, heard another pop on the hood, another small rock hit it on the side, this one was pretty much nothing, so it's ok. strike two

there it came. the car in front of my kicked up something. i saw that BLACK HUGE thing flew at me. i wasn't able to do anything, except to see it hit the hood, in the middle, very hard, then up, hit my windshield, and it's gone. i was like shit..... i looked at the windshield and there was a small chip on it. and i knew it's not decent on the hood..... after the trip back i looked at my hood i was like fuck it. right in the middle, a 1mm by 1mm chip, all the way to metal...... very noticeable...... strike three......

i was able to get part of the chip out but it's one of those few scratches that you just can never take it out.... sad enough? i was strike out :(
 

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
Joined
·
3,086 Posts
rominl said:


really? i heard i have to pay the deductable regardless :(
That's really sad. :(

BTW, some of insurance company might consider as comp and you can get covered if you don't have deductible on your comp policy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,436 Posts
autoxCLS said:
In Florida, your insurance is required by law to replace your windshield free of charge, regardless of your deductable. Are other states the same?
I'm not sure if it applies to all policies in MA, but I have a $0 deductible glass coverage on my policy. It didn't cost extra and they'll even replace the rear window with defroster element and antenna (well over $1,000) at no cost to me. Which is a good thing because my wife goes through windshields like I go through beer....:sqnteek:
 

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
Joined
·
3,086 Posts
I better check mine too. I always thought glass was cover under comp. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
pianoman41 said:


I'm not sure if it applies to all policies in MA, but I have a $0 deductible glass coverage on my policy. It didn't cost extra and they'll even replace the rear window with defroster element and antenna (well over $1,000) at no cost to me. Which is a good thing because my wife goes through windshields like I go through beer....:sqnteek:
Hmmmmm, what is she doing while driving...:dunno:
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top