Acura World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening,

I'm getting winter tires for my TS SH-AWD because the summer tires with it are dangerously low on traction in any snow or ice. It is so bad that my front-wheel-drive RSX Type S and my 2000 4Runner Limited in rear-wheel-drive mode both get better forward traction than the TL does inspite of the TL having all four wheels working.

My initial plan was for 19" all-season Michelin tires since the 4wd should compensate for the slight traction lost by not having a dedicated winter or snow tire but now I'm hearing that the 19" Bridgestones do quite well on dry winter pavement. Since these tires will be on the car for at least 3mo/yr (central Indiana), I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice any more handling than I have to. Additionally, I still have my 4Runner with BFG All-Terrain TA's in 265/75 16's, if things get really bad.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with All Season vs. Winter only tires?

Thank you for your help.

John

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would go with the all season tires. They are all around and will get better tread wear.
That is the direction I am leaning since I still have my 2000 4Runner Limited with a set of BFG All Terrain TA's in 265/70 16's that has 2wd, 4wd full-time, 4wd-part time, 4wd Low Range as well as a locking rear differential. With the upgraded all terrain tires and everything locked up, the thing has incredible snow & ice traction. I will most likely use the 4Runner in any significant snow anyway so I'm willing to sacrifice a little traction in the snow for better performance on dry winter roads. My part of Indiana only sees a handfull of snowfalls anyway (typically no more than 5-6" at a time and the roads are cleared in within a day or two) so it will be spending 95% of its time on dry pavement.

I'm going to mount the all season tire on the factory rims and use the stock summer tires on a set of OZ Ultralegerra (sp) wheels.

Thank you for the advice!

John

·
Registered
9 Posts
John,
Have you confirmed how the TPMS sensors work with two sets of wheels/tires? I assume you have the sensors installed in both sets. Do you have to have the dealer "reprogram" the system whenever you switch sets, or will the car recognize them without the need for dealer intervention?

I'm asking because I'm shopping Infiniti G with summers against Acura TL SHAWD with summers or all-seasons. Infiniti requires a trip to a tire store or the dealership to reprogram the TPMS system with every swap if I'd want to avoid having the amber TPMS warning light on all winter. Acura sales guy claims no reprogramming or "relearning" by the TPMS system is ever necessary as long as each set of wheels/tires has the Acura sensors installed. I'd like to confirm that with a real owner...

If any other owner who swaps wheels/tires twice a year would like to chime in to confirm, I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
draph94,

You bring up an excellent point, I had not thought of that yet. I will let you know what my experience with the swap and/or research teaches me. I am installing the performance winter tires on the factory 19" rims and will be doing it within the next two weeks. Since the OZ wheels take a few months to get special ordered from Italy (and are probably a better wheel), I'm going to them as my primary wheel. I'll learn as much as I can prior to their arrival but I will also let you know in a few months what my first-hand experience has taught me. I doubt the initial switch will be a problem since it is the same size tire and the factory wheel but I will be able to get a look at how the TPMS sensor actually attaches.

I will let you know what I learn along the way. Thank you for bringing up the point, you may have saved me a huge headache.

John

John,
Have you confirmed how the TPMS sensors work with two sets of wheels/tires? I assume you have the sensors installed in both sets. Do you have to have the dealer "reprogram" the system whenever you switch sets, or will the car recognize them without the need for dealer intervention?

I'm asking because I'm shopping Infiniti G with summers against Acura TL SHAWD with summers or all-seasons. Infiniti requires a trip to a tire store or the dealership to reprogram the TPMS system with every swap if I'd want to avoid having the amber TPMS warning light on all winter. Acura sales guy claims no reprogramming or "relearning" by the TPMS system is ever necessary as long as each set of wheels/tires has the Acura sensors installed. I'd like to confirm that with a real owner...

If any other owner who swaps wheels/tires twice a year would like to chime in to confirm, I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
draph94,

I will let you know what I learn along the way. Thank you for bringing up the point, you may have saved me a huge headache.

John
Thanks. I've got to make a purchase decision by February, so I'd appreciate seeing what you learn before then. I don't think TPMS will be a deal breaker, but it could be another straw for the camel's back in making my decision.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I've got to make a purchase decision by February, so I'd appreciate seeing what you learn before then. I don't think TPMS will be a deal breaker, but it could be another straw for the camel's back in making my decision.
Good Afternoon, I'm hoping to have some definite answers by Tuesday. Tire Rack is looking into it and I need to verify their response with Acura's. I get the feeling when talking to these people that no one really knows for sure. Before spending $4K on tires and wheels, I want to be 100% sure. OZ is also looking into it. Since the Ultra Leggera wheels are special order for 19" on the TL-SH AWD, I'm thinking that they must know something about it. I doubt I'm the first person that has ever put them on that car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The difference between Winter & All Season tires is like night & day. I just ordered a set of winter wheels & Blizzaks from the Tire rack for the new TL. Can't wait for the first big snow storm.
Our other car is a 2003 Nissan Maxima and we all know how much front torque steer there is on that car. I put steel wheels & Blizzaks on that car in the winter and that thing is better in the snow than my 4Runner with AT's on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The difference between Winter & All Season tires is like night & day. I just ordered a set of winter wheels & Blizzaks from the Tire rack for the new TL. Can't wait for the first big snow storm.
Our other car is a 2003 Nissan Maxima and we all know how much front torque steer there is on that car. I put steel wheels & Blizzaks on that car in the winter and that thing is better in the snow than my 4Runner with AT's on it.
The first time I drove the TL SH-AWD on ice, I thought the conditions were just unusually slick, especially considering AWD. It wasn't until I drove other cars on the same surface that I realized how incredibly poor they were on the snow. I later read an amusing article in Car & Driver about performance winter tires. They amusingly stated, 'the very best possible outcome of driving on ice with summer tires is that you will get stuck'. They weren't too far off.

Still haven't had snow yet but I will report when I am able to try them out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a set of both. The 19" HPT option with the Michelin Pilot Sports & a set of the standard 18" AWD wheels with a set of Dunlop WinterSport M3.

TPMS sensors are in both sets of wheels, and I have no problems whenever I switch between. i prefer to have a set of dedicated summer & winter tires as I don't want to compromise with all season tires. Especially with the winters here in the Colorado mountains.

I also went with the 18" for the winters as they're alot less expensive than 19" tires. As it was the WinteSports ran about $1000.

We've had some decent snowfalls this year already and I can attest that this car with AWD & winter tires performs just awesome. Excellent traction under acceleration & braking. It's a bit fun being able to pull away from a traffic light in snow & ice almost as well as in the dry while all the SUVs on their all season tires are spinning and sliding..:mhihi:

If you live anywhere that gets a decent, regular amount of snow, I highly recommend a set of snows. Plus it'll make driving in the snow a whole lot more fun!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also another advantage of having 2 sets of wheels & tires is that tires will last you awhile. The 2003 Maxima that is now my daughters will need new tires next spring. Not bad for Bridgstones P90's I think lasting 6 years. I hate buying tires.....

·
Moderatus Emeriti
22,229 Posts
Also another advantage of having 2 sets of wheels & tires is that tires will last you awhile. The 2003 Maxima that is now my daughters will need new tires next spring. Not bad for Bridgstones P90's I think lasting 6 years. I hate buying tires.....
I'm in the same boat - along with the fact that the summer wheels are chrome and the summer tires are just that - summer tires. I calculate that I won't need to buy tires again for about 4 to 6 years! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
We just had the first snow of the season yesterday and my TL SH-AWD was slip sliding all over the place!!!

wasn't sure whether to get some new all seasons or winter/snow tires. after reading this thread, I'm heading over to Tire Rack today to get some winter tires.

...WHOA, $1084 for a set of 4!!!!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
my OEM tires are Michelin Pilot Sport all season 245/40/19

yeah...WIDE tires...

I will be using the same wheel, so hopefully the winter tires will be some type of improvement despite the width

·
Registered
12 Posts
We just had the first snow of the season yesterday and my TL SH-AWD was slip sliding all over the place!!!

wasn't sure whether to get some new all seasons or winter/snow tires. after reading this thread, I'm heading over to Tire Rack today to get some winter tires.

...WHOA, $1084 for a set of 4!!!!!!!
I'm shopping for winter tires also and had the same shock. 19 inch tires are much more than other sizes! For a low cost option, I'm gonna get some 17 inch wheels with winter tires mounted. I've priced out a set delivered for as low as $915 at discounttiredirect.com to fit my 09 TL SH-AWD. That price was without TPMS sensors, but if you want to keep cost as low as possible you can do without and just ignore the warning on the dash.

BTW, someone else on the forum had posted that the car automatically registers new TPMS sensors after a short drive. So no need to pay a dealer to reprogram.

·
1 Posts
I have a 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech and have a second set of 18" OEM wheels with TPMS sensors that I run Blizzak LM-60 winter tires on in the winter. I run a 225/50 R18 winter tire size which has a slightly higher profile and a narrower tread which adds to the tires handling performance in the snow. IMHO winter tires make the TL much more stable and manageable in the winter. We had a very slippery commute here in Salt Lake this morning and my TL took it all in stride. With winter tires the TL is a beast in the snow...!!! I can also confirm that the TPMS module automatically senses the sensors in the other wheels. Just swap them out and drive a few miles...no dealer or tire shop hassles with the Acura, unlike my wife's Subaru which requires a reset at the dealer or tire shop after each changeover.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts