Acura World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did something yesterday that I thought I would never do. I had a half tank, and filled the rest up with 87 octane!

It was late, so I just drove back to my house and parked. I reset the ECU (disconnected the battery for about 10 min.).

Driving around today I felt little difference at all - perhaps even more power?

I think I'll let it get to empty and try again with straight 87 - just to see how that works, since I'm really running around with +/- 89 octane, since what was in there was 92...

Anyone else tried 87 is their car? Specifically a Type S? If so, how did it work for you?

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Well, theoretically, lower ocane gas will get better power - it just has a lower threshold for detonation. I'm not as technically minded as some on this subject, but what I recall from those in the know was that the higher octane has additives to reduce the detonation - those additives lessen the percentage of "fuel" per volume.

I think... heh

fla-tls said:
I did something yesterday that I thought I would never do. I had a half tank, and filled the rest up with 87 octane!

It was late, so I just drove back to my house and parked. I reset the ECU (disconnected the battery for about 10 min.).

Driving around today I felt little difference at all - perhaps even more power?

I think I'll let it get to empty and try again with straight 87 - just to see how that works, since I'm really running around with +/- 89 octane, since what was in there was 92...

Anyone else tried 87 is their car? Specifically a Type S? If so, how did it work for you?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well - I did some more driving (had to pick my boss up from the airport). I've only heard one very small ping so far, and that was when I sort'a backed off the gas and then back on it with moderate acceleration.

That's the first ping my engine ever made! I think I'll run the fuel out almost all the way and put in a couple of gallons of 87. By doing that I'll be able to dilute it with 92/93 if it doesn't run well...

autoxCLS, I had also heard that information about gasoline. According to one of our other current/former A-TL'ers (Road Rage), an ASE member and all-around smart guy... The car's sensors sample for preignition 30 times per second - so it shouldn't ping much, if at all.

Hopefully RR makes it over here!

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
53 Posts
yeah these gas prices in central florida are beginning to really suck. it was nice to be able to fill up my car for under $20 there for a while but it seems as though those days are long gone.

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
jkc2121 said:
yeah these gas prices in central florida are beginning to really suck. it was nice to be able to fill up my car for under $20 there for a while but it seems as though those days are long gone.
damn, come to san jose / san francisco, los angeles, or even san deigo.... we have even "better" prices...... the cheapest i got here is 1.85 for 91 octane...... what a "deal"

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
yeah gas prices soaring sucks....

i definitely do not want to switch to regular 87 ... but as long as i can afford it, i'll keep on going with the premium gas.....

what do u guys think of those fuel additives?..like gas treatments or fuel injector treatments...do those help gas mileage or not noticeable??

thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
With my CLS, the best thing for gas mileage was my K&N filter. Gave me 2-3 mpg on the highway - no lie.

Most high grade gasses today have detergents, so no need for the injector cleaner IMHO.

The octane boosters are just that - and higher octane just reduces preignition.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Well, our cars aren't cheap, and our manuals recommend to use the higher octane, if u decide not to, u should c a decrease in performance and a decrease in gas mileage. So its cheaper with the 87 octane stuff, but u will be filling up more frequently. And besides, lets say u save .20 cents between the 87 and 91/2/3 octanes , thats about $ 2.80. Is it really THAT much cheaper considering the sacrifice in performance/gas mileage?

For the skinny on octanes, go here

BTW, i fill up at Sams Club, usually a good 10-15 cents cheaper than everyelse ;)

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
well think about it guys. you own a 30k car, and it says i the manual premium gas should be used. and comparing 91 and 87 octane, over the course of one yr and normal usage it's just about 200 bucks different at most...... that's definitely acceptable to me

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Well here in NJ, I heard the gas price jumped 32 cents in only 2 weeks!:mad: At the rate it's climbing, I guess I'm using my bicycle more this summer.:D

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
BlackShadow said:
Well here in NJ, I heard the gas price jumped 32 cents in only 2 weeks!:mad: At the rate it's climbing, I guess I'm using my bicycle more this summer.:D
um...... serious though, with the amount of work load i am having at work, it might be a better idea for me to just camp in my cubicle at work :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
oh hell yeah, gas prices have been raping my wallet lately, even at the "racetrack" it's 1.60ish for 93 oct, last time it came out to $27:eek: i remember a month ago it was 1.25...

i have a 2001 TL-P and i've used 87 oct, drove to Miami and back and no problems, i haven't heard any pings, or decrease in performance, it pulled in 4th while doing 100 mph, but do you have to reset the ECU when you change gas oct, won't the cpu recognize it anyways?

·
GOT RICE?
1,058 Posts
in nor cal. super unleaded is 1.80+!!!

i would love to pay 1.65 for super!!!!!

chevron gas of course....

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
TunerTL-S said:
in nor cal. super unleaded is 1.80+!!!

i would love to pay 1.65 for super!!!!!

chevron gas of course....
tell me about it. i always go for either cheveron or 76, both 1.8x....

·
Registered
737 Posts
man gas prices are sick...fuck OPEC...gadamn cartel really really running this shit:rolleyes:...just be glad you dont live in europe where their gas prices are like 1.00$ a liter...haha, how bad would that suck...but anyways, no matter how high the prices go I will never resort to poor people's gas:p...Shyne:king:

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
i come from hong kong, they have one of the most expensive gas price in the world :) guess i should be lucky to be here. imagine paying over 60 bucks for a tank of gas ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
BlackShadow said:
Oh well...nothing but the best for my baby.:D
well my baby's a trooper, she takes it any way i give it....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blazin TL said:
oh hell yeah, gas prices have been raping my wallet lately, even at the "racetrack" it's 1.60ish for 93 oct, last time it came out to $27:eek: i remember a month ago it was 1.25...

i have a 2001 TL-P and i've used 87 oct, drove to Miami and back and no problems, i haven't heard any pings, or decrease in performance, it pulled in 4th while doing 100 mph, but do you have to reset the ECU when you change gas oct, won't the cpu recognize it anyways?
Yeah - the ECU will adjust... Perhaps I was just bored!:buck:

I do think the mileage was a bit worse on the lower octange gas through...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts