Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a prototype y-pipe made by SMSP. If any of you are familiar with Honda-Tech you will recognize the name. SMS products makes some of the leading headers for B-series engines among others. I had this piece made for my personal use for now, but it may become available to the public later if there is demand. Details to follow after dyno testing.

SMS Products

·
TEXAS PSYCO
6 Posts
let us know about that dyno!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
khoerling said:
Okay, what are the diameters?
2" into a 2.5" collector. I'm sure larger piping could be used for those who want it. I went with the 2" because I was concerned with the possible loss of tq with larger piping. Also, for a Type 1 I think it's big enough (vs. the 1.25 I.D. of the stock Type 1 y-pipe). Planning to dyno it on saturday most likely. If it performs well, it may become available for order.

·
Registered
6 Posts
very nice....im getting a friend at a shop to see if he can do some headers and y-pipe for me.....HOPEFULLY its not as hard as everyone says it is and they can do it, but im not holding my breathe. nice y-pipe though. i will be getting one soon too. i like the numbers (2" to a 2.5")

·
Registered
398 Posts
k

dear kenso,

All i want for christmas is ....

Dyno and then tell sms to look at this forum and such and tell them they will get buys, exspecially if this stays on the market people will buy!!

Please!

PS-i want one. :mhihi:

·
Registered
110 Posts
do you feel the gains would be similar or greater with a type 2? obviously freeing up the air ways to breathe out the exhuast easier is gonna free up power, at the very least take existing power and move it around in the powerband, I cant wait to see the dyno results, looks like a very good quality y-pipe, great work btw.

PS I was curious if that is stainless or mild steel and would the final product for sale be stainless or mild steel.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Fut said:
:woowoo: Is it me or did Dv8 just give us a peep into the design his Y-pipe and co-sign Kenso's in the same breath?

One...

Fut :2cool:
That one is better than the ones i made because they are mandrel bent, i can imagine the price though.

~TRu Hybrid

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hope to get 2.25" -> 2.5" on a Type II (mandrel bent, of course).

Heads up:
DV8s 2.25", crush-bent y-pipe has less effective diameter than a 2.25" mandrel bent one.
Therefore, he could have lost torque with a 2.25" mandrel bent y-pipe; we don't know for sure.

k.h.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dv8 said:
That one is better than the ones i made because they are mandrel bent...
And there you have it, the man has spoken.

One...

khoerling said:
Heads up:
DV8s 2.25", crush-bent y-pipe has less effective diameter than a 2.25" mandrel bent one. Therefore, he could have lost torque with a 2.25" mandrel bent y-pipe; we don't know for sure.
Good point Khoering. Makes sense to me. Dv8 you wanna weigh in on this?

One...

·
Oh Gee
7,154 Posts
I have DV8's and have not felt any loss in torque, of course the butt dyno isn't very accurate. Deleting the precats and going with the larger piping will make your exhaust much louder, i had to have a resonator installed along with the high flow cat.

I'm ticked right now because somewhere down there a weld has given out and it sounds like shit, need to get that fixed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't mean to imply that everyone should agree with me,
but shouldn't favoring power through the upper rev's yield a faster Legend?
Especially since traction on the Legend doesn't come easily, and our gearing is tall...

What I'm alluding to is horsepower over torque.

What are your thoughts?

k.h.

P.S.
Do not reply that that torque makes horsepower,
therefore we should have more torque.
I don't want to read incomplete arguments from ignorance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
khoerling said:
I don't mean to imply that everyone should agree with me,
but shouldn't favoring power through the upper rev's yield a faster Legend?
Especially since traction on the Legend doesn't come easily, and our gearing is tall...

What I'm alluding to is horsepower over torque.

What are your thoughts?

k.h.

P.S.
Do not reply that that torque makes horsepower,
therefore we should have more torque.
I don't want to read incomplete arguments from ignorance.
Those of us that are fortunate enough to have a manual should go with top end power. Those with an auto should concentrate on more lowend. I made up both sizes to customers specs, asking them key questions like; "are you planning on nitrous, manual or auto, future mods." That would pretty much tell me wether to go for 2 or 2.25. The collector has always been 2.5. I had made my headers collectors 2.5 on each side, so that when i construct the Y pipe i can make them a variety of sizes with respect to what i want to see on the dyno. As long as the headers are, the Y pipe is actually going to be really short compared to the original.

As for the arrgument between diameter on crush bent vs mandrel, if a mandrel bend 45 degree pipe is x I.D. and a straight through pipe is also x I.D., when it gets crush bent to 45 degrees the x internal diameter is still there just not shaped round like the mandrel bent one. that what i think. However i agree with the argument that mandrel is better overall, because it all about flow.

~TRu Hybrid

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.